Changing host in middle of stream

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mingusman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. mingusman macrumors newbie

I have several domains registered through Yahoo and my site hosted by Earthlink. I originally bought from Yahoo because they were something like $3.00 the first year. Of course what they don't tell you is that successive years would be something like $37.50. The Earthlink hosting cost is manageable but I'm sure I could do better.

So what I want to know is how (if I can) do I change this? I seem to recall looking into changing registrar some time ago and it felt like I was entering into some dark, arcane world of international intrigue so I stopped looking before I got very far.

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

When I did this, I contacted the current registrar and they told me how to do do it. It was really easy.

3. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

It is possible to do. Part of my old job was moving sites about. All you need to do is:

1) Copy your files across to the new host.
    2) Copy any databases across to the new host (if you run a blog or forum)
    3) Update any blog or forum (etc.) with the new database details.
    4) Change your domain to point to the new host. This is probably the scariest part for newbies. It's different depending on who you bought your domain through. Usually, your host will give you new DNS or name server details, and you'll log in to the site you bought your domain through and enter those new details. They can take a few minutes to a few hours (DNS) or up to two days (name servers) to update.