Changing Hotkeys in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Benediction, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Benediction macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm an ex PC user and just switched to Mac last week. So far I love the speed and stability of Safari and have installed some nice add-ons to it; however, I want to change the command+L hotkey (selects the address bar) to command+D. Is this possible?

Also, is there a way to create hotkeys to open up basic applications on the dock? For example, I would like command+s to open up Dictionary. Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Benediction thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I put for the "Menu Title" when I'm in System Preferences? I did trial and error a few times, nothing worked.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > + >
    Application: Safari.app
    Menu Title: Open Location... (same name as appears on Safari's menu. Edit: Don't forget the ...)
    Keyboard Shortcut: Command - D
    Add

Attached Files:

5. Benediction thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, ggjstudios, you solved my problem. Those screenshots were excellent.

I still have some other hotkey questions. By default on my MacBook Pro, adjusting the screen brightness can be done with F1 and F2, and decreasing and increasing the sound volume with F11 and F12. Is there I can make it so that F3 and F4 are my volume keys, instead of F11 and F12? I looked in the same Keyboard & Mouse preferences but in that list it doesn't even have Volume on there.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the ? in the lower right corner of that Keyboard Shortcuts window to bring up Help... read that and click the "shortcuts" link at the bottom for more info.

You'll find a lot more helpful information both here and on the web. Some resources that may be helpful (if you've already seen them, ignore):

Mac 101
    MRoogle for searching MacRumors: Forums with Google (always a great idea before starting new threads)
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    Essential Applications
    More Essential Applications

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! Enjoy!