Changing icon problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Rogerss, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Hey guys,

Just got a problem I can't seem to figure out.

I know how to change my icons, and I have done it plenty of times. But recently, when I right click my icon, and bring up "get info" of the application. The picture in the top left corner, the one you are suppose to copy and paste the new icon image into is not showing up as the image of the application. It is just the standard like jpeg image paper preview icon thing. =]

Can anyone tell me how to get the images back to show up? So I can change my icons?

(If you don't understand what I am talking about, I can take some screen shots.)

Thanks guys.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Use the program img2icns and it will change them to the correct format to be able to copy the image in the top left corner over to which icon you want to change.

3. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

But why do I have to do this anyways? I shouldn't have to use a program. It was not like this before.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Please can you take some screenshots? :p I don't understand your problem...

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have never gotten a jpeg or any other type of picture besides the "icns" format to work. They show up with just the generic jpeg icon or other generic photo icon.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It depends on the original image you are trying to copy. The application he suggests are for converting those ones to a proper format.

You can copy other folders/system icons and paste them with no problem, but (it might be the way OS X now handles high res icon images) if you want an image or something else like that, you may need that app to convert.

7. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

the ICNS file needs to be applied to a folder before you can do that copy and paste trick. Use IMG 2 ICNS if it's not already and ICNS and then ICNS to RSRC to make a resource with that icon. *THEN* you can do the Get Info trick.

That's the way it's always been.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have had no problem with just using the ICNS format to do the copy and paste thing, it has worked for me every time.

9. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I think you're confused about which format(s) you've been using. The ICNS format displays on the Mac like any other image format, either the document image (Usually the piece of paper with a preview icon and then JPEG/GIF/in this case ICNS under it) OR a preview of the icon which is on a white background, so it still wouldn't be suitable for use. Many icon designers release their icons pasted onto a folder so that the Get Info trick can be used. Some just release them as ICNS files.