Changing icons in Finder Sidebar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krazo, Jun 30, 2007.

1. krazo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I keep my movies, music, and pictures folders on another drive so I added those to the sidebar, but they have that boring blue folder for the icon. How can I change it back to the icons that the default folders had?

Thanks!

2. aha yoda macrumors newbie

You have to copy the folder icons from the old, default folders into the new folders and them "re-add" them to the Finder sidebar. Use this process for each folder.

1. Right click on the original folder, and select "Get Info."
    2. Click on the icon that appears in the Get Info prompt. A blue outline around it should appear.
    3. Type [APPLE] + [C] (copying the icon)
    4. Right click on the new folder, and select "Get Info."
    5. Click on the icon that appears in the Get Info prompt. A blue outline around it should appear.
    6. Type [APPLE] + [V] (pasting the original icon)

The new folder now has the original folder's icon! Repeat!

Glad to help!

Aha Yoda

3. Appel macrumors member

I know this is an old thread but im trying to do this from a time capsule folder. When i copy the original sidebar icon from the movies folder to the new movies folder on the time capsule, the icon is there in the main window but not in the side bar when i drag it there from the time capsule. Any ideas anyone?

What i want is to replace the original movies folder in the sidebar with a new movies folder from my time capsule AND remain the original movies sidebar icon. Now when i drag the movies folder from the time capsule i only get a folder icon in the side bar.