Changing icons using copy / paste

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BornToMac, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

So I know how you can change icons using CandyBar, and I thought I knew how to change icons using the "Get Info">Paste icon picture onto blue folder way of changing icons. However, sometimes when using the copy paste method, I end up with a generic icon showing the file type instead of the picture. So my questions are:

1.Anyone have advice on how to get the icon to change using the copy paste method? Format? Size?

2.What is the default location of the standard blue folder icon?

2. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Didn't someone not too long ago do the copy/paste method and then complain that OS X couldn't find the folder/directory/file/app as a result or something like that?

Is copy/paste the "official" apple method for changing icons or a workaround?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac 101: Change your icons

4. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Thanks for your suggestions GGJ but as I already mentioned, this is not working for all cases/ often I am left with a generic file format icon instead of the image I just copied and pasted.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly how and from where are you copying the image?

6. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I am taking the destination folder (where I want a new icon) and opening it with Command + I.

Then I do the same for the icon I want to use. Initially I clicked on the icon thumbnail at the very top of the properties screen of the desired image and copied it. Then I clicked on the generic folder icon of the destination folder (and saw it was selected with a blue outline) and pasted the copied image.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That should work. Occasionally, you may need to press Command-C a few times on the source image to make sure it gets copied to the clipboard. I've been in a rush from time to time and found I didn't successfully copy it. You might also try pasting it on a different file or folder to see if it works, which could tell you if it might be a problem with a particular folder.