Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carriesn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Hi all.

We are operating in a mixed environment where the computers are mainly PCs. When using a mac and clicking on 'All' under 'Shared' (on the left of the Finder window), I'd like for my particular imac to look different from the other imacs and PCs that show up (the images). For example- I'd love to replace the generic iMac image with a picture of my face or some other identifying image.

My students are very young and while they can use the Drop Box, they can't find my iMac from among the other computers (my system admin won't let me name it differently from the other computer names, which are all based on our service tags).

Hope I've made my problem clear and hope to hear from you about possible solutions! I know the 'Get Info' window trick, but it doesnt seem to apply to my image under 'Shared' because my imac doesn't show up on my own imac :)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
the icons under Shared are found in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources and are the 16x16 icon (open .icns file in Preview and all sizes will show in the sidebar).

you can create a .icns file using Icon Composer which is included with the developer tools on your first restore DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.