Changing Individual Icons (Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nylock10, Dec 22, 2007.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

In Leopard, when I try the good old Get Info Copy + Paste method of changing individual icons (for applications or select folders) it doesn't work.

Instead, the icon will be changed to an image icon saying "ICNS". This worked in Tiger, why not Leopard?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try this open the icns in preview, click on the main big image so that the first smaller image in the sidebar is not selected and press command-C to copy, then paste it onto the icon using the get info method.

3. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

4. jaws01 macrumors member

I know this method works, but how come I cannot use this same method for a partition hdd icon, I have Vista on it and would like to change the icon, but it will not change.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats because you cannot write to windows NTFS partitions in Mac OS X by default. when you paste an icon onto a folder or drive it creates an invisible file of the icon inside called ".Volumeicon.icns".

so to copy and paste an icon onto an NTFS partition you need to be able to write to it. you can do this using "MacFuse" or "NTFS for Mac OS X.

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i was trying to figure this out too...i came here to post about it and low and behold, my question has already been answered.:D

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Whould a VM allow you do this?

8. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I'm having a different problem. I want to change the icon of an application in my VM, which is also available from the dock (via Parallels Tools). I have already changed it once, so I know it works. But now I can't select the icon in the Info-window anymore (both of the app. and the .icns-file). It works for all other apps and icons, though. I'm a little confused now.. :confused:

edit: I'm running 10.5.1 on an MBP 2,2, and no - rebooting did not help.

9. dylangiffard macrumors newbie

my downloads folder is in my dock, but when i download things the downloads folder icon becomes a preview of what i have downloaded. but i would like to have it as the original downloads folder coz it looks a lot better. could some one please help me!

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sure- just click and hold on the dock icon. When the list pops up, click "folder" under the "Display as" section rather than the default selection "stacks".

11. bprayoga macrumors newbie

Changing Mobile Connect Icon

Hello,
    I wanna change mobile connect icon with my own icon. I already "show packages" and try to change file named "logo.png". But it didn't work, and then I try "get info" and drag & drop, but it fail too. So how can I change it? Right now it has standard icon (brush, pencil & pen with the A structure). Please help...thank you