Changing inner earpiece of iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Argosbernes, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Argosbernes macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how to change the inner earpiece of the 3G iphone, I got the spare part, but I am not sure how to change it. Do anybody know if there is any guide???????????

I think i broke it somehow , once i opened the phone to get out the stucked x-sim......wish i had been mor patient ...(Dev team....Great job)

Well if anybody could give me a hand I would really apreciate it !

Thanks a lot from Spain

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

So you were trying to get the SIM card out and got an in ear earbud stuck? What part of the earpiece is stuck and is it the Apple brand in ear headphones or another brand? This question makes barley any sense to me, sorry.

David

3. zm73 macrumors newbie

changing inner ear piece of iphone 3G

I have the same problem with my iphone 3g. Opened it up to remove the sim and now its ear piece does not work. I know that speaker is ok, but can't go any further in diagnostics.

There is a set of videos on youtube. One of those being http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=uZl5FeZXTwA. You should be able to find directions to reach at the inner ear piece.

You may want to check the continuity and ohm of the existing speaker through connector cable to make sure that the ear piece is faulty, using a multimeter.

Mine one reads correctly so I know that the fault is not with the speaker but somewhere else. Good luck.

z

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Z,

Thank you for the clarification. So Argosbernes was talking about the receiver not working. If you didn't open the phone up then your iPhone's warranty wouldn't of been voided and you could of taken it back. Now that it is voided, it is up to you to fix this problem.:( If Argosbernes still needs a guide on how to replace it then here is one.

David

5. zue macrumors newbie

Removal of inner ear piece (speaker)?

You missed addressing the real issue. The inner ear piece (inner speaker) in the imbedded speaker at the top of the phone opposite the home button. And your links do not address removal and replacement of the inner speaker itself. I have not found a video yet online that addresses replacing the inner speaker. If anyone has one please post. I am trying to install a new bezel. In order to do so it requires to take out the home button and the inner speaker. Hoem button is easy. I have managed to remove the outter grill and the metal cover that was snapped on over the speaker. I am prying on the speaker to try and remove it but it does not want to come out in one peice. I can see that the speaker coils are trying to stay behind. If I have not already destroyed it it would be nice to have some directions on removal.

6. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You need a new earpiece - you cannot remove without destroying it since stuck in. Once inserted, you need to check the resistance on the ribbon cable contacts of around 30 Ohms to ensure good contact. Need to know what you are doing to do that really. PM me for more help.

7. zue macrumors newbie

Success at removing & replacing IPHONE ear speaker.

After my recent post I was able to figure out how to replace the ear peice speaker (opposite home button) and I will share my knowledge. I needed to replace the glass bezel and to do so you have to remove the home button and ear speaker from the old bezel and place in new one. This is risky as you may damage the ear speaker in trying to remove it.

First you must remove the metal cover going over the assembly. This is pressed on and to release it you must use an exacto knife to release the spring tension in 3 places on the glass side of the bezel. The metal cover and mobo will pop off then exposing the speaker assembly.

I was able to get an exacto knife deep under the speaker and pop it out. in first attempt i did not get knife deep enough and almost broke the speaker assembly. Note you must get below black plastic and under shinny metal plate with knife to get entire assembly out without damage. I was able to salvage the sticker that holds it in also. using an exacto knife i was able to peal it off and resue it.

On the opposite side of the bezel (glass side) is the speaker grill. with an exacto knife you can pry it off and also salvage the sticker that holds it in place.

The IPhone was not made to take apart easily so there is always a risk in damaging some of the components.

Let me know if this is helpful information.

8. gramouk macrumors newbie

Hello!

Well I have a similar problem, my earpiece won't work. I've tried cleaning the jack as some suggest. It just doesn't work. There is absoluteley zero sound. I saw lots of earpieces on sale but i'm wondering if I'm not better off changing the whole piece, as it could be the ribbon cable or somthing else that is damaged....

But how on earth does one get that earpiece out? I don't really understand your method zue??? I just spend hours changing the glass of my iphone, don't wanna do that again for a mfkn earpiece...

Thanx for your help.

peace

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

This thread seriously confused me when the guy said that the earpiece was oposite the home button. I thought he meant the microphone at the bottom!

This repair is seriously difficult as you have to remove the glass/digitizer from a thin plastic frame without damaging anything else (LCD, home button, digitizer, main board or anything else in the rest of the phone)

If the earpiece isn't working and your phone is under warranty I would suggest taking it straight to Apple. Alternatively, have a repair shop do it to avoid costing yourself the price of a new iPhone should you damage it during the repair.

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ear piece

you are doing it totally wrong!!!!! take it to a repair shop in your area. the word exacto knife and iPhone in the same sentence makes the hair on my neck stand up!! in most cases its not really the speaker that is the problem it is the proximity sensor that is under the metal bracket you are talking about. this goes out when you dont know what you are doing and take your phone apart yourself. you have to make sure you power off the phone before doing any type of repair. because when you plug it back in it blows this sensor and then you cant hear out of your speaker. you should NEVER have to take out the home button to replace a chome bezel as you say or even the touch screen. the chrome bezel is actually attached to the back of the phone not the screen. just because you find it on youtube doesnt mean it is correct!!!

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

your right it is very hard to do this but you can replace the speaker without taking the digitizer off the mid frame. you have to remove the metal bracket as described earlier but you have to be very careful. if you go to deep you will scratch the inside of the screen then you will have the paint come off and see it very clearly from the outside. if this happens just get a sharpy!!!

12. gramouk macrumors newbie

So how exactly do you take off that metal piece? Don't really get it...

cheers

13. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

There's three clips, 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom of where the metal bracket sits. You can just lightly pull on them with a thin screwdriver or similar and they pop right off. This exposes the proximity sensor and the rear of the earpiece.

Also, the guy said about an exacto knife because its thin and pointy enough to actually catch the edge of the earpiece as it sits in the mid frame. If you used anything else you would risk damaging either the mid frame of as he said, the glass (scratching off the black coating)

Another valid point is that it may not be the earpiece that is the problem, it could be the proximity sensor as this is what the earpiece connects to and then to the iPhone. If you can test the resistance on both parts you will be able to tell which is to blame. Use the 2 big gold contact points on the proximity sensor to test that.

14. jknights macrumors newbie

OK so I have my iPhone 3 G open and in bits.

The speaker shows a 30ohm resistance.
    What should the circuit board show if tested at the speaker attachment points ?
    Mine is showning >20Mohms.

I know there is a problem here as I can hear music if I use the earphone scoket socket but not from the internal speaker.

I have managed to change the glass and digitizer so I'm nearly there.
    The Home key is also dead after following the instructions on the net to gently heat the old glass with a hot air gun or hair dryer to soften the glue holding the old glass onto the frame.
    I think this is what killed the Home switch and maybe the circuit for the speaker.

Thanks
    JK

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

no the heat gun did not cause your problem unless you really overheated it. some times if you dont have the glass on correctly it will not allow the home button to work. and to be honest its not worth testing the proximity sensor just replace it. it doesnt cost much! you might have to replace home button cable also but you might be able to reset the digitizer and make it work.

16. georgiou.cr macrumors newbie

Help reinstalling ear speaker

Hello everybody. I also need help with reinstalling the ear speaker from an iphone to another. Managed to take out the metal shield infront of the speaker and removed the speaker. The coils cant be removed because they are glued i think. Any tips? Is the speaker destroyed now? Thank You

17. Mac basher macrumors newbie

Frustrated

So I dropped my iPhone 3G last week and could hear soft voices while I listened but the other person could hear me just fine. Well today I got my screen replaced and now I can't hear a thing in my earpiece. I put it on speaker perfect. Music and conversation with earphones perfect. Bottom speaker perfect. I've tried the Qtip solution-fail, plug and unplug headphones-fail, restart, reload software-fail. Does anyone know any other options before I have to drive hours to get to the closest Apple Store?:confused:

18. engineguy macrumors newbie

Mac basher - I has same problem on the earpiece after touchscreen replacement - exactly as you described. Watching posts for a solution - did you get your problem solved and how?

19. passentorp macrumors newbie

same problem

I have the exact same problem - does anyone have a solution for this? Is it the ribbon cable #3 that is not properly connected or is it because the ear-speaker is broken?

20. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Well it is usually the proximity sensor that is at fault not the speaker. This problem is common when the guy doing the screen repair does not turn off the phone first. The sensor blows when plugged back in to a powered on phone. Yes this is the #3 cable. The problem is the glass has to come off again to replace it.

21. skylined macrumors newbie

do you have any solutions if you have dropped ur phone; cracked the screen; replaced it but when re-attaching connector 3 i cracked the plastic clip that it slots under??? can make calls using the loud speaker only and i'm certain the ear speaker is fine. how can i re-connect connector 3?

:confused::apple:

22. 11colmil macrumors member

11colmil

You should be able to replace the clip somehow... If not, use tape :D