changing Iphone 4 from Mac to Windows. Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stoutman11, May 9, 2011.

1. Stoutman11 macrumors member

(MAC TO WINDOWS)

Hi all! Please help if possible. I have an iphone 4. I have a mac. I gave it to my friend and he has windows. He put in his micro-sim in my phone and i did a full restore on my mac. I then plug it into his windows laptop to back up from his old iphone but the phone doesnt show up in itunes?! If i did a full restore on the phone should windows itunes recgonize it and he put all his data on there from his old phone (iphone 3g)?

any help is appreciated. btw when i plugged in his old 3g his itunes recogonizes it right away.

Thanks!!

2. mltaylor macrumors regular

I know older iPods were either configured for Mac or for Windows depending on the first load up. I didn't think the iPhones were like this though. I would say just put it in DFU mode and restore on the Windows computer and set up as new

3. Stoutman11 thread starter macrumors member

ok so if he plugs the phone into his windows laptop and goes into DFU mode while it is connected you think his laptop will pickup/recognize the phone? Is that what your saying? and to confirm its just holding down the power button and the home button for 10 seconds then releasing the power button until the itunes shows the device?

Thank you for responding and helping!

4. naths macrumors 6502

what version of itunes is he running?,and what version of ios is the iphone4 on?,think i read somewhere that only the latest version of itunes will be able to see the iphone if its on 4.3.3.....

5. Stoutman11 thread starter macrumors member

well the phone was restored recently so it automatically puts the most recent firmware on it which is 4.3.3. I think the version of itunes he is running maybe old.. the pc he has is older and im not sure what version of itunes he is on i will have to see. 10.2.2 is the latest right? I will make sure that is what he is running if he doesnt already have that.

6. naths macrumors 6502

Yep the latest is 10.2.2 hopefully that might be the problem...

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doing a full restore doesn't automatically update to the latest version of iOS, it does usually give you the option to do so, but not always automatically.

8. Stoutman11 thread starter macrumors member

he is having to reinstall itunes.... so we shall see.. not sure what data he is going to all lose. Hopefully once updated Itunes will see the phone finally!!!

9. naths macrumors 6502

10. Stoutman11 thread starter macrumors member

ok so he actually ended up totally re-installing Itunes. After the restall he hooked the iphone back up to his laptop however this time itunes recognized the device and he set up from his previous iphone 3g back up! all is well! i guess the reinstall updated to the latest version of itunes was the trick?!

Thanks to all for the help

11. naths macrumors 6502