Changing iPhone 4 Sync Computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Legolover64, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Legolover64 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I spent the summer working in Boston. As a result, I only had my laptop with me, not my desktop (my primary sync computer). I bought an iPhone 4 (of course!) and have loved the phone to death. I'd like to now shift over to my desktop, so that I can sync over my music and photo library.

How easy is this to do? Would I just plug in the phone, right click it in iTunes and select "Back Up", then restore it to that back up? I want to preserve the photos/movies I've taken, SMS messages, contacts, emails, etc. The least important thing is music/video, as I don't have any of that on there.

How doable is this? I'm running Mac OS 10.6.4 on both systems, with the newest iTunes. The phone is running 4.0.

Thanks!

2. goombah88 macrumors member

I don't have the link handy cause i'm at work, but if you google for something along the lines of "sync iphone with 2 or more computers" you should find a handy article about taking a certain key string from one itunes and putting it in the other itunes. It's this key string that triggers itunes to say it can't sync with a particular iphone.

Once that's done all you'd have to do is copy over all your itunes files from one computer to another.

I did this process myself when I went from my desktop to my laptop. I did it from XP to XP but I know the process is the same for Macs.

Best of luck to ya!