Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I went into an AT&T store yesterday to upgrade my plan from "IPHONE + 200" to "IPHONE + 1500". When I checked online to see if the change had gone through, it said "Check back after your next billing cycle begins on 5/24/2008."

Has anyone made this change before? Do they charge you $0.01 per KB and $0.20 per text for the rest of the cycle? I just don't want to get a $5000 bill this month.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
when i changed, i was so close to the end of my billing cycle that the 1500 text package just started on the next billing date. you could try calling to see if you can get a prorated billing.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i've made that exact change before. i received that same message when trying to view my bill that month, and i couldn't see the details until that billing cycle was over. it was fine - no problems at all. they just pro-rate your text messages in transition from your old plan to your new one, and there are no exorbitant charges thrown in or anything...

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
i've made that exact change before. i received that same message when trying to view my bill that month, and i couldn't see the details until that billing cycle was over. it was fine - no problems at all. they just pro-rate your text messages in transition from your old plan to your new one, and there are no exorbitant charges thrown in or anything...

Thanks... that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

StoneGaijin

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I went into an AT&T store yesterday to upgrade my plan from "IPHONE + 200" to "IPHONE + 1500". When I checked online to see if the change had gone through, it said "Check back after your next billing cycle begins on 5/24/2008."

Has anyone made this change before? Do they charge you $0.01 per KB and $0.20 per text for the rest of the cycle? I just don't want to get a $5000 bill this month.

You get charged $0.20 per text over your 200??

I only get charged $0.05 per text

davedray

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Philly
Another plan changing question

I have a questions along the same line. I was thinking about down grading from my curent plan of 900 mins + 1500 TM to 450 mins +1500 TM. Is this possible? Most months I am around 450 so at first I didn't want to push it and get overages. Now after a month and a half I think I have enough roll over to cover it. Also, would the roll over mins I bult up stay in I down grade? It is a little bit of a stupid question, and maybe I will just keep it as is and use it as a phone a little more. But any help would be great!

Thanks!

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
You get charged $0.20 per text over your 200??

I only get charged $0.05 per text

I was talking about the charge for texts without a plan, because they have to take the plan off and put a different one on. But normally it's 5 cents if I go over 200.

I have a questions along the same line. I was thinking about down grading from my curent plan of 900 mins + 1500 TM to 450 mins +1500 TM. Is this possible? Most months I am around 450 so at first I didn't want to push it and get overages. Now after a month and a half I think I have enough roll over to cover it. Also, would the roll over mins I bult up stay in I down grade? It is a little bit of a stupid question, and maybe I will just keep it as is and use it as a phone a little more. But any help would be great!

Thanks!

From AT&T's TOS:
If you change plans (including the formation of a FamilyTalk plan), or if an existing subscriber joins your existing FamilyTalk plan, any accumulated Rollover® Minutes in excess of your new plan or the primary FamilyTalk line's included Anytime Minutes will expire.

So to me, that says that you can change plans whenever you want, but they will take off 450 Rollover minutes for each month that you've collected them (900-450=450) if you go from 900 to 450.

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
I was talking about the charge for texts without a plan, because they have to take the plan off and put a different one on. But normally it's 5 cents if I go over 200.

From AT&T's TOS:

So to me, that says that you can change plans whenever you want, but they will take off 450 Rollover minutes for each month that you've collected them (900-450=450) if you go from 900 to 450.

This happened to me. I changed from a 900 minute individual plan to a 700 minute family plan. They would only let me keep 700 rollover minutes total, not 700 rollover minutes for each month.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
When I bumped my Family VoicePlan from 700 to 1400 minutes online, my account showed that the change wouldn't come until the next billing cycle as well. I called AT&T and they had to do some fiddling to get the change to be reflected immediately. It could be different for SMS messages though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.