Changing iPhone Text Sound (rather then defaults)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wttheninja, Mar 25, 2010.

1. wttheninja macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

So I have been an iPhone user since the beginning and I have been through one of every version. By this I mean I have had the first one, 3g and now the 3gs. The first one I jailbreaked and it was awesome. Then I stopped with the next two phones. I have been reading all of the internet, that the only way to be able change my text tone (to a new different one) was to jailbreak my phone. I was wondering if there was any other way. If not, what is the best jailbreak software to do this. I am running my phone on a 250gb macbook pro 13''.

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No other way but to JB.
    What firmware is your 3GS running?
    If you're on 3.1.3 you cannot currently JB it.

3. wttheninja thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Dang that sucks, oh well.
    I am currently running on the most up to date version. (3.1.3)

Dangit.

Is there any word about that change in OS 4.0?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No clue yet but I hope they let us pick any ringtone synced thru itunes as a text sound.
    I dont see why they dont.

5. wttheninja thread starter macrumors member

I agree, because there is alot of the old 8-bit sounds I would love for my text-tone.

6. painter28 macrumors newbie

iphone 32G 3gs

I am going to sell my phone and would like to know if i do a "erase all contents and settings" will that reset the phone usage time back to "0" as if the phone was never used? The person who is going to by it said that he can see how long the phone has been used? I would like it to appear as though the phone has never been used and talked on?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Post your own thread to ask a specific question you have.
    This has nothing to do with what's talked about in this thread.
    Don't hijack peoples threads.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Likely not happen.
    Ringtones are m4r
    All other sound files in iPhone are caf (including SMS_received sounds)

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It will just erase the firmware on the phone so it will not turn on (Hint: Erase all contents part mean anything to you ?)
    Don't do it.

And don't hijack threads.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    But could the SMS selection field be changed officially by Apple in future firmware to include any .m4r ringtones to be used for SMS tones also?

11. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

So yeah in an effort to bring this Thread back on topic: WHAT IS the BEST app for changing your SMS ringtone to custom (chimes) ringtones?

And is it possible to have a custom ringtone of each SMS contact if I chose to?

and where is a good place in Cydia to get decent (Chimes) if we cannot make our own ( I am guessing we can't)

BTW: Sorry to hear you are unable to j/b your phone OP :(

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

short of downloading "sms tone themes" available on cydia, which are activated via winterboard, the only way of getting custom sms tones on the iPhone is via SSH. Any of these options will not actually add new ringtones or anything, but change the sound of the default ones!

No, you would only be able to change the ringtone for each contact, not the sms tone. Also, you would only have 6 sms tones to choose from, you can't add an unlimited amount to add for each contact anyways.

You could make your own, just needs to be a .caf file. You can also download various .caf files off of the internet, on torrents, or via themes for your iPhone then grab the tones you want and SSH back into your phone. If you want to download sms tones off of cydia all you have to do is open cydia, go to sections, Themes (sounds). Pretty much any of those sounds, even the locksounds and such can be used as a ringtone if you SSH the .caf file to the correct spot. You could also just do a search and type "sms tone" and you would see a bunch of sms tones available to download in cydia.

-EDIT-

Also of note, sms tones cannot be stopped once they start playing, they continue until finished. So a 15 second sound clip, hell even a 5 second sound clip from a song or something would be very annoying if you do any real amount of texting. I would suggest sticking to basic short sounds rather than trying to use songs or movie clips.

14. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Hey thanks! that was a whole lot of insight and good info on making your own text ringtones. But after some thought I figured it's not worth the trouble, its' just a damn text message chime, I rather not SSH and REPLACE original iphone .caf files (I'm very capable of all that) but these days I like to keep my iphone as simple and clean as possible.
    I was hoping it will be as safe and simple as something like making ringtones for your phone via iTunes, hey as long as I can easily do that guess there's nothin to complain.

Thanks again guys

15. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Since we are on the topic of tweaks and such...I came back to jailbreaking these days, I used to have a crazy jailbroken iphone 2g back in the 1.1.2 firmware days(WAAAAY back/like two years ago :p)

I have a question for the veteran Cydia people here, I am one of those guys that likes everything running clean and smooth on his iphone, I don't care much for background processes, I want only one app running at a time, the way iPhone is meant to run.

I don't want anything to slow my iphone down or drain my battery quick. Having said all of the above the only Cydia apps I have on my phone are Winterboard, Make it Mine (changes your carrier name) and SBSettings...

Now winterboard and MIM might be okay, but how do you u guys feel about SBSettings?
    it's a neat little gadget but it seems that since I installed it my battery is draining slightly faster, what is your thoughts on that particular app?

My guess is it's constantly running in the BG and sucking up good chunk of battery in no time? yeah?

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

winterboard is the only thing that is going to slow down your phone. Make it Mine isn't going to use extra battery, and unless you are swiping into sbsetting all the time its' not going to hurt battery either. These are not background processes that are killing your battery even when your not using your phone.

Within sbsettings you can click more>mobile substrate addons> then turn off things you have installed to see how they affect performance/battery life. Make sure that if you delete something though, that you turn it back on before doing so.

17. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I will try the "substrate addons" on my next full charge

I was just wondering is this a normal battery life for an iPhone 3Gs?

[​IMG]

mind you I am only running 3G, not WiFi, not bluetooth ....[​IMG]
    Is that okay level of memory usage too? at around 161MB?

and as you can see: During those 48 minutes the phone was constantly in use and never idle, I was browsing Safari mostly, some other apps, Maps etc and maybe 3-4 minutes of YouTube streaming. I find it a bit weak, I think it is draining a bit faster than my old 2G, I wonder if it has anythign to do with restoring it from an old backup.

There are only two "apps" that are showing on the "substrate addons" are those the only two that are from Cydia?!? I don't understand.
    [​IMG]

I didn't think Winterboard would suck up much battery, but if that's truly the case then it's outta there!

thanks again for the help

18. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

obviously if you are using the phone for an hour, your battery is going to go down, i wouldn't be too worried about it.