Changing Iphoto Library Location to NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cooa99, Aug 8, 2014.

1. cooa99 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

My Iphoto Library on my rMBP is getting bigger so would like to locate it somewhere else.

Can this be relocated to my 4TB Synology NAS?

Since I also have a Macmini as well, is it possible to point both the rMBP & macmini to the the same iphoto Library (if relocated to NAS) ?

cheers

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Drag the library over to the desired NAS folder and then double click on it, and iPhoto will open it up.

I did that with Aperture and didn't run into any problems, other then some latency, since the data is now coming over the ethernet.

As for sharing, its possible, but the application and the Library file is not designed for multiuser and you could cause problems if both computers were accessing/updating the library at the same time.

3. cooa99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much, I'll try moving it tonight.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Once you do the move hold the option key as you launch iPhoto then point it to the new library location. This way when you launch iPhoto it will start with that library.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Make sure you have good/frequent backups of the library if you use it from two different devices. Will make it much easier to restore when it gets corrupted.

6. cooa99 thread starter macrumors regular

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Note, he said WHEN not IF.

It's way too easy to corrupt a library when opened up with another device at the same time. It's terrible in Aperture as well.

I'm hoping the replacement product from Apple is more aware...

8. cooa99 thread starter macrumors regular

I have copied the library over to My NAS and would now only open it from my Macmini rather than with the rMBP ..... to reduce chances of corruption.

What are the best apps to manage the Iphoto Library ? since iphoto app appears not to do much.

I am slightly clueless on picture formats.For example I know mp3 audio format can store lots of tags.
    What about the jpeg format?. Does it store tags as well ?. e.g date, location. Reason I am asking is that I would like to take pictures that I took on sony digital cameras from 10yrs ago ....

cheers