Changing iTunes/App Store Country?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rocknblogger, Aug 3, 2013.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If I'm using a VPN and I use a Swedish server will changing the iTunes/App Store setting to match my login location cause any problems for me once I change it back to the US store?

Any recommendations and advice on this will be greatly appreciated:)

2. Bear macrumors G3

The iTunes store requires you have an address and credit card that matches the country of the iTunes store.

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

So just for the sake of argument, if I was to visit Europe I wouldn't be able to access iTunes? Or the app store?

4. Bear macrumors G3

You would still be accessing the US store with your AppleID. Apple bases what store you use by your mailing address and credit card and not on your IP address. Apple understands that people travel.

5. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

So lets say I have a UK address and a gift card bought in the UK. Can I change my App Store to the UK App Store and then change back to the US store without any problems?

6. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

In theory you can.
    A friend of mine had its store (Colombia originally) switched to US in order to claim an US gift card and then he switched it back.
    I believe he did it through the "Apple ID" website.

7. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

It's very simple.
    First you would want to keep your local account which has your local details.

-Setup a new Email account
    -Visit the itunes store of the country you want to access.
    -Click to download a free app (it will then prompt to ask you login/password)
    -Create a new account
    - There will be credit card inquiry thing/payment information - choose 'none'.
    - Fill in details and be sure to include address which is same as that of the store you're in, including number.
    -BAM you're done. You can now access both your local store, AND store-of-choice, albeit switching between 2 accounts.

*If you have a cc valid for the country you're visiting, you wouldn't be restricted to free aps.

Good Luck.

8. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for ;)

9. himanshupant macrumors newbie

Is there any restriction on the number of times this country change can be done ?

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

It's worth noting that when you change stores you won't see your old purchases in your 'Purchased' tab, they are associated with your account and the region/store from which they were purchased. However, you will still be able to download them for free.

I moved my account from the UK to NL and I have always been able to download my prior purchases from the UK store in the NL store.

11. RedOrchestra, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  12. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

How soon after changing the store country can you change it back to the U.S. store? Any limitations on that?