Changing iTunes library location

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcvaughan, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I'd like to free up some space on my MBP by relocating my iTunes library to one of my external drives. If I do this, what happens if I buy new content on the iTMS or download a podcast when my drive is not connected? Where will it put the content, or will it just give me an error? The problem is that I keep my external drive at home but listen and download podcasts while I'm at the office.

Any tips?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If you download material when the external is not mounted, it will download to your internal drive. Once you get home, you can either manually move the files over to the external, but a better way is to use the "consolidate" command (under Advanced, I think -- not at the mac right now). That will copy the new material to the external, then you can delete from the internal.

3. mcvaughan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, there's no consolidate option, but I know what you mean. What you're probably referring to is the "keep iTunes music folder organized." My main concern was that any new additions to my library weren't going to be added if my library was pointing to an unconnected drive.