Changing iTunes Store Account - Syncing doesn't work, please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickane, Aug 16, 2008.

1. nickane macrumors 6502

A friend of mine very kindly gave me his 2G iPhone about a week ago and I'm slowing requisitioning the phone bit by bit. I now have the phone working with my o2 Simplicity 25 sim (I recommend this to anyone in the same position cos o2 allows you to and its £5 off this month, so at £20/month its the cheapest way to get free data). I decided to try out the app store today but despite signing in to my account on my iTunes which is now tied to the phone, and resyncing umpteen times, the phone still registers my friend's account.

Please help. What else could I be doing wrong? The Apple support pages say signing in and resyncing is all it takes. I'm using iphone 2.0 and iTunes 7.7.1.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I'm not trying to be funny, because I don't know what the Simplicity 25 SIM is, but is that an iPhone SIM card? If not, maybe that's the problem? If you're not signing in with an iPhone SIM, maybe iTunes can't do all it needs to.

3. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

Restoring, rather than resyncing should do the trick.

When 2.0 came out, my friend wanted to me upgrade his iphone on my laptop. after i did that, itunes app store kept asking for my login info on his iphone. he went home and restored and all was fixed.

4. nickane thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers. I suspected I might need to do something more drastic, because it probably wants me to wipe his apps off the phone, as he bought a couple before getting his 3G. I'm guessing restoring will do just that.

It's not an iPhone SIM, but luckily o2 aren't being d*&^s about that. I don't know, maybe apple has agreed with o2 at least to abandon revenue sharing on anyone who upgrades to 3G, but o2 changed their minds about it about a week or two after the phone came out, according to their forums:

http://customerforum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=26929&sid=53f0a23f8cee31fe686c5c61c44c1b5d

I realize this link probably doesn't interest you, but for any UK person's benefit who may happen upon this thread, I thought i should include it.

If you think about it tho, now that the iPhone is so cheap subsidized, no one would want to use a 2G if o2 hadn't done this, because the 3G phone will be worth more at the end of the contract than it's current subsidized price (£59/£100 max for the 8/16GB), and so it represents better value than an iPhone 2G even if it were free. In the UK, we have a law that once the minimum period of your contract is over, the network is obliged to unlock your phone so that it becomes yours and in 18 months' time I can't see an iPhone 3G being worth less than £59.

So 8GB iPhone 2Gs are going for over £100 on ebay here, because it is now possible (altho o2 aren't advertising it heavily) to have a legit 2G iPhone on any 02 contract. Which is why I get 600 mins, 1000 texts and unlimited data for £20/month on a 30 day contract, which is pretty sweet, and worth sacrificing 3G data speeds and GPS for any day.

Besides, in 10 years' time, my iPhone will probably be worth a lot more than a 3G, as it'll be more of a collector's item...

5. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Nice! I wish ours would be unlocked automatically after we fulfill the contract.

Did you try a restore? How did it work?

6. nickane thread starter macrumors 6502

Not yet. Trying to backup my text msgs first, as apparently it wipes all data.

7. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

I upgraded to 3G at the weekend, and as a result my girlfriend has my old 2G model.

I'm encountering the same issue. Is a restore the only way to solve the problem? If I were to restore the iPhone via iTunes, then would I brick the phone (it's currently unlocked)?

Also, having read that thread on the O2 message boards, will any O2 SIM now work in a 2G iPhone without having to unlock? I ask as she's planning on switching to the £20 O2 simplicity tariff.

EDIT: Seems as though the simplicity idea is legit.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/usinganoriginaliphone

8. nickane thread starter macrumors 6502

Dunno about unlocking, as its a pitfall I've managed to avoid. According to that o2 page, tho, the simplicity idea isn't legit; you'll have to switch to an iPhone tariff, altho the o2 forums page says otherwise. I haven't had any problems when i updated to 2.0.1 and it sounds like all the ppl in that forum spoke to o2 about it and they didn't mind. The whole point of the simplicity thing is that u provide the phone, so they can't exclude a particular model phone that's in fact locked to their network. I think the official page just tells you to switch to "an o2 tariff for iPhone" cos they don't want to advertise using the iphone with simplicity cos its so cheap. I know a few ppl who did it before the 3G came out, by unlocking it, but it seems that now that's no longer necessary. The official o2 page is misleading, and i misread it at first, then understood what it meant and panicked about having to spend £35/month or unlock it, but finally i found that thread about simplicity.

If your gf plans to do what i did, remember that the £25 tariff is only £20 for the month of August, so act fast. The normal £20 tariff does not come with a free bolt-on, which according to that thread, you will need for data. I assume once you get that deal, o2 have to honour it until they go bust, whereas you can leave it whenever you want.

9. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

She'll be getting the £25 tariff during the week at some point. It'll work out at about £14 per month however, as we're lucky enough to know an O2 employee ;)

10. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

how would that brick the phone? all you're doing is restoring, which is just reinstalling the latest firmware onto the phone.

11. nickane thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. Restore was the ticket. I backed up my SMS but then it asked me before the restore if I wanted to copy data back from a previous sync, so I guess I didn't need to, cos I got my msgs back anyways. Cheers for your help guys.

The restore did however wipe all of my friend's music from my phone and I think upon resyncing that its also deleting his apps. It gave me the option to transfer to my own library but I didn't want to do that cos there's probably a limited no. of times you can do that (dunno, don't use iTunes store).

It's a shame that you guys get such a raw deal in the US and that the carriers don't give u more rights, but its probably to do with infrastructure of outlaying a network in such a sparsely populated country. Which is probably why the canadians seem to have it so much worse than the US.

Smuggins. And I thought I'd gotten a good deal. ;)

Thanks for your help guys. I'm off to the App Store.