Changing iTunes store account to new MobileMe email address

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrochester, Mar 11, 2010.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

Hi all

I have just signed up for a MobileMe email address. I want to change my existing iTunes account registered email address to this new @me.com address. However, when I try to do so in my account details page, it says that my me.com email address already has an iTunes account attached to it.

How do I go about changing my registered iTunes account email address?

Thanks

Michael.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can create a new iTunes account with your new email address, but you can't have your purchase history transferred to the new account.

Itunes login how to change email?

3. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I want to do, I want to change the registered email address of my account to my new me.com address, but it won't let me saying that email address already has an iTunes account. It doesn't though, because I've just signed up to it and haven't yet registered it with iTunes! I'd like to delete the me.com account and assign it to my exisiting account, but I can't figure out how to do this.

EDIT - should have read the link! So basically Apple won't allow you to do this? It seems crazy that if you take up another of their services they actually make life *more* difficult for you than easier!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree, but that's their policy.

5. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

They may have just done themselves out of £59 per year then if they are going to be awkward about this...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Everyone has different needs, but I subscribed to MobileMe (.Mac) for a year and didn't find it helpful at all.

7. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I'm just frustrated. I had assumed it would 'just work'!

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

It doesn't work because buying a MobileMe subscription automatically creates an iTunes Store account for that .me email address.

Therefore, you can't change your existing store account to use that email address because there's already an account using it.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can still do that.

For example, if your original Apple ID was "joesmith@gmail.com", and that's what you've been logging into iTunes as to make purchases, there's nothing stopping you from updating the email address associated with that account. Just because the Apple ID "account name" is "joesmith@gmail.com" doesn't mean that the email address for that Apple ID "account name" can't be something else (like "joe.smith75@me.com").

Your Apple ID would still be called "joesmith@gmail.com", but any email Apple sends to you at that account would be sent to your @me.com address.

Anyhow, to do that, you login at http://myinfo.apple.com and change your preferences there.

10. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I've gathered that. However, when I asked for all my purchased content to be moved from my old email address to the new @me address, they've said that can't be done either! So I'm wondering how exactly you do switch to an @me email address successfully? The answer seems to be, you don't, and I can't figure out why Apple would block this!

I think what I'm going to end up with is an awkward situation of having 2 different iTunes accounts for my apps and having to switch between the 2 of them depending on which app needs updating.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

If I were you, I'd continue to buy using my old Apple ID, and just ignore the fact that its display name isn't my new MobileMe Apple ID. I'm not sure what's gained by making purchases with your new Apple ID.

12. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

That sounds like a good idea! I'm just a neat freak and like to have all my various store accounts with the correct email address hehe.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, I'm the same way. It drove me crazy for awhile!!! The approach Apple took on this definitely doesn't sound very thought out. I mean, if Steve Jobs ran into the same problem as an end-user, I'm sure he'd have them completely re-do the process! :D