Changing keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by instaxgirl, May 22, 2010.

1. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I have one of the new Macbook Pros. The F4 key has a little picture of the dashboard on it, hit that key and the dashboard pops up. I don't use dashboard enough to have it warrant its own key.

So I don't want that, I want what I had on my iBook - I hit one of the function keys and Expose shows me the open windows for the application I'm in. I think fine, I'll just repurpose the F4 key.

So into keyboard>keyboard shortcuts in system preferences, double click the Expose shortcut for Application Windows and make it F4. The Dashboard still pops up for F4.

Go into the keyboard tab and check the box that reads: "use all F1 F2 etc keys as standard function keys" and tada, the F4 key now does what I want. But obviously the volume keys etc now don't. So I thought I'd just go into keyboard shortcuts and set all the shortcuts to match the pictures on the keys. But I can't find most of them.

I've got to be missing a trick - I know if I uncheck that function keys box again I can make expose pop up by holding fn and F4 but I don't want that, I just want F4 to bring up expose instead of the dashboard while the rest of the function keys do what Apple designed them to. Surely there's a way?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In Snow Leopard open System Preferences->Keyboard pane and click on the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. To change a shortcut just click of the shortcut letters (in the far right of the window) and press the key change you want.

3. instaxgirl thread starter macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Nope, tried that.

Changed it to the F4 key but to get it to work that way I have to old down fn and F4, otherwise it still opens the dashboard.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton