Changing Leopard Login Screen Background?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
Does anyone know/remember how to change the background image of the login screen without a 3rd party application.

I know I've seen a thread about this in the past for Tiger or Panther couldn't find it just now. Please link me if applicable.

thanks

FJ

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Change /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg to whatever you want, just make sure you name it correctly.

jrennell

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2006
Default Background change does work (for me at least)

I can confirm that changing the DefaultDesktop.jpg in /System/Library/CoreServices/ does indeed work, I replaced it with the Tiger Aqua background this weekend. I recommend keeping the original in there and renaming it to DefaultDesktop.Leopard.jpg or something like that to revert to.

The specifics of the image (Tiger and Leopard defaults) are:
Resolution: 2560x1600 pixels
DPI: 72pixels/inch
Color model: RGB

Try conforming your jpeg file to those settings (the resolution is probably unimportant). A restart cannot hurt either if the setting does not kick in immediately.

cavebob

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I worked it out for mine. You need to have 'Locked' ticked in file info under general. for good measure i changed the permissions to read&write for all

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Mine failed to work, until I loaded in a picture with my default resolution.

For my 24" imac, it was 1920 x 1200, and the picture finally worked.
FYI, the first time I loaded the pic into the correct folder, upon restart I had a blue background, and when I got back into finder, the picture somehow found it's way into my applications folder. Moved it a 2nd time, and it stayed put.

Just need to fix stacks / spotlight / front row / icons and my dock now. :apple: