Changing login picture doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tecknical, Apr 29, 2009.

1. tecknical macrumors regular

Alright, so I got tired of looking at the same old login picture for Leopard (the Aurora thing) so I decided it was time for a change. I downloaded a nice looking login wallpaper and decided to change it

(delete the old DefaultDesktop.jpg in CoreServices and replace it with the image i downloaded)

But now I dont have a login wallpaper. its just a color. No matter what I do, replace the one i downloaded with the backup, download a new one, I still have no login wallpaper...this is very weird.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is just a guess, but did you set the permissions on the new file correctly? It's possible that if it's not everyone-read the loginwindow process can't access it to display it.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I would say that is most likely the case as well. Run repair permissions or set the file manually through the terminal. System files need the correct permissions in order to work properly, even if it's just a .jpg.

4. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

i did set the file permissions and i also repaired permissions

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Can you confirm the directory it is in? The full path please

6. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

/System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg

7. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

the login picture still doesnt work. I dont know what else to do, can I just repair that file from the Leopard install disk or something?

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Does the file have to have the exact same name as the original?

I don't know how this app works with an already changed login picture, but I just saw this article on Lifehacker this weekend. It's an app that looks like it makes changing the login pic pretty easy http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/05/loginox-changes-the-os-x-login-background-image/

9. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular