Changing MAC Address

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JinLong, Jun 2, 2014.

1. JinLong macrumors newbie

So here is my concern, i followed this procedure :

Check my IP : sudo ifconfig
    Create a random IP : openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..\)/\1:/g; s/.$//'
    Then : sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z
    Add new IP : sudo ifconfig en0 ether (new IP)
    Then double check : ifconfig en0 |grep ether or sudo ifconfig

After that everything seems good, the new ip will appear with either "ifconfig en0 |grep ether" or "sudo ifconfig" command, but if i go to System preferences > Network > Advanced.. the real mac address will still show up!! is that normal?

2nd question : Do i need to spoof my mac address while using a 3g USB key or the USB key will show its own mac?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not quite clear what you are trying to accomplish, but any hardware device that connects to the network will have its own MAC address. So your Mac, router, modem, 3G dongle, etc will all have a unique MAC address.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I'm not sure either, but unless you're directly referring to the MAC address of ethernet or the AirPort WiFi - you can't really do that..

4. JinLong thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to spoof my mac address and be sure it worked with the procedure i used above!

For the second part, my question was do i still need to spoof my mac address when using a 3G key? i read some things saying the 3g key or any device like that have their own mac address and it's this one who would be seen by the internet provider and not the one from my mac!

I just to want to have your confirmation :)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is correct. Whatever device is actually connected is the MAC address seen from outside. So that could be a 3G dongle or cable modem.

6. JinLong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy ;)

and any idea why i can still see the original Mac address in the Preferences/Network after having successfully spoofed it in the terminal

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think what is going on is that software change you made just changes what MAC address is seen from outside, but that OS X panel is picking up the MAC address directly from the hardware device itself, and that will not change.

8. JinLong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I thought it could be something like that..

9. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

MAC addresses are typically stored within the hardware itself so an OS can't change it, just read it.
    Like you could take an ethernet card from one computer to the next with different OS's and they will all read the same MAC address.
    And each network card in your computer will have their own unique address, so the ethernet card will have one address while the WiFi card will have a separate one.
    Same for Bluetooth.