Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everett1911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
I have a Powerbook G3 with Mac OS 8.6 installed, I found a System 7 theme that looks great (as in it looks just like System 7, icons and ui) and I'd been wondering, is there a way to change the Mac OS boot image to look like the old "Welcome to Macintosh" one from before Mac OS?

And just for giggles, is it possible to use some of System 7's control panels on 8.6?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Using ResEdit, you should be able to extract (copy) the PICT resource from the System 7 "System" file, then paste it into the Mac OS 8.6 System file into the PICT resource, replacing it with the System 7 image. Just make sure the resource ID is the same. And be sure to make a backup of the System file you're editing.

It should be easy enough.. And when you get it, post a photo! :apple: :apple: :apple:

P.S I installed the System 7 theme on my Titanium G4, it looks very cool. There was something beautifully utilitarian about System 7!

everett1911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Using ResEdit, you should be able to extract (copy) the PICT resource from the System 7 "System" file, then paste it into the Mac OS 8.6 System file into the PICT resource, replacing it with the System 7 image. Just make sure the resource ID is the same. And be sure to make a backup of the System file you're editing.

It should be easy enough.. And when you get it, post a photo! :apple: :apple: :apple:

P.S I installed the System 7 theme on my Titanium G4, it looks very cool. There was something beautifully utilitarian about System 7!
Can I do that from system 7 floppies?

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Can I do that from system 7 floppies?

Hmm.. maybe not. IIRC, the System file was built during installation, but maybe there is a System resources file on those floppies that contains the PICT resource.

You may need to first install the old OS in an emulated environment using Mac OSX (or Windows). Instructions to do this using Basilisk II are here.

Apple released System 7.5.3 for free. There are links and details here.

Also, there was an app called TomeViewer which might be an option to extract the resources from the installer "Tomes".

Otherwise maybe someone could upload a .sit file of said system file or resource?

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
There's an easier way to change the boot screen. Search for the Screen Man control panel, install it, convert an image of the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen from System 7 to a .rsrc file (any image will do, but I always copy the image to another large blank image that's the same size as my screen resolution) and set it as your boot screen in Screen Man. I think you can find Screen Man at macgui.com. It's quite old, but it still works even under OS 9.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
There's an easier way to change the boot screen. Search for the Screen Man control panel, install it, convert an image of the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen from System 7 to a .rsrc file (any image will do, but I always copy the image to another large blank image that's the same size as my screen resolution) and set it as your boot screen in Screen Man. I think you can find Screen Man at macgui.com. It's quite old, but it still works even under OS 9.

Now we're talking. You prompted my 90's Mac memory banks and I vaguely recalled there was an EVEN easier way to display a full screen custom startup image. After a quick googling, this post over at 68kmla answered it.

Just place a "PICT Resource" file named StartupScreen in the System Folder and it replaces the usual happy Mac and progress bar. You still see the icons loading. You can even use a "StartupMovie" file to play a QuickTime movie at boot.

I used Photoshop 3.0 to save a TIFF screenshot of Sierra booting and saved as a "PICT Resource" (32bit).

Here's Mac OS 8.6 booting (in SheepShaver) with a "Sierra themed" startup screen. :apple: :apple: :apple: :eek:

MacOS86-Sierra.jpg

Next is to get a screenshot of System 7 booting and pop it in the System Folder.
[doublepost=1503048482][/doublepost]...And for a quick bit of trivia, Mac OS 8.6 was codenamed "Veronica" according to wiki.

----------

Want this black "Sierra" startup screen for Mac OS 8/9? Download and unzip/unhqx/unstuff the attached SierraStartup1024x768.sit.hqx.zip. Drop the "StartupScreen" file into your System Folder.

:apple: :cool:

Attachments

• SierraStartup1024x768.sit.hqx.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Okay, I've got it!

Here are the System 7 Startup Screens: System7-StartupScreen.sit.hqx.zip

The archive contains the following files:
StartupScreenSystem7-640x480
StartupScreenSystem7-800x600
StartupScreenSystem7-1024x768
StartupScreenSystem7-1280x854 -- For the Titanium PowerBook G4

Download, extract the archive, rename the file for your screen res to just "StartupScreen", drop it into your System Folder and you've got a retro System 7 startup screen on Mac OS 8/9 -- this may even work in the Classic boot window too, but I haven't checked it.

-AphoticD

System7-StartupScreenOn86.png

Attachments

• System7-StartupScreen.sit.hqx.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
Reactions: KawaiiAurora

everett1911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Now we're talking. You prompted my 90's Mac memory banks and I vaguely recalled there was an EVEN easier way to display a full screen custom startup image. After a quick googling, this post over at 68kmla answered it.

Just place a "PICT Resource" file named StartupScreen in the System Folder and it replaces the usual happy Mac and progress bar. You still see the icons loading. You can even use a "StartupMovie" file to play a QuickTime movie at boot.

I used Photoshop 3.0 to save a TIFF screenshot of Sierra booting and saved as a "PICT Resource" (32bit).

Here's Mac OS 8.6 booting (in SheepShaver) with a "Sierra themed" startup screen. :apple: :apple: :apple: :eek:

View attachment 713415

Next is to get a screenshot of System 7 booting and pop it in the System Folder.
[doublepost=1503048482][/doublepost]...And for a quick bit of trivia, Mac OS 8.6 was codenamed "Veronica" according to wiki.

----------

Want this black "Sierra" startup screen for Mac OS 8/9? Download and unzip/unhqx/unstuff the attached SierraStartup1024x768.sit.hqx.zip. Drop the "StartupScreen" file into your System Folder.

:apple: :cool:
Wow, that looks classy! Nice one
[doublepost=1510914055][/doublepost]
Okay, I've got it!

Download, extract the archive, rename the file for your screen res to just "StartupScreen", drop it into your System Folder and you've got a retro System 7 startup screen on Mac OS 8/9 -- this may even work in the Classic boot window too, but I haven't checked it.

-AphoticD

View attachment 713420
Wonderful! Thanks a lot <3
[doublepost=1510916086][/doublepost]
Okay, I've got it!

-AphoticD

View attachment 713420
Here's what it looks like now <3 (also say hi to my ipod mini! I love that old bulky thing.)

Dhk9ny.jpg

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Wow, that looks classy! Nice one
[doublepost=1510914055][/doublepost]
Wonderful! Thanks a lot <3
[doublepost=1510916086][/doublepost]
Here's what it looks like now <3 (also say hi to my ipod mini! I love that old bulky thing.)

Dhk9ny.jpg

Hey that Wallstreet is booting System 7!! :cool:

I miss my little iPod mini. I had the silver one and it lived most of it’s days in an iPod sock (remember those?). Unfortunately my car was broken into and it was stolen from the glove box.

:apple: :apple: :apple:

everett1911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Hey that Wallstreet is booting System 7!! :cool:

I miss my little iPod mini. I had the silver one and it lived most of it’s days in an iPod sock (remember those?). Unfortunately my car was broken into and it was stolen from the glove box.

:apple: :apple: :apple:
Technically a Wallstreet II "PDQ" but yes, very yes!

https://www.bustle.com/articles/468...-from-the-early-2000s-that-will-make-you-wish oh wow, these were a thing. They look adorable!

I got my ipod mini at a thrift store for just 9 bucks (7 for the ipod, 2 for the usb cable) and boy am I glad. I don't even mind that its screen is in black and white or that it only has 4gb of space or that the battery has seen better days, none of the smartphones I've had gives my sony xb550ap headphones the sheer sound quality this ipod gives me

Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.