Changing "MacBook" Icon?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Benguitar, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Is there anyway to change the MacBook icon in the Finder window from the White MacBook to a Black MacBook?

I have downloaded a Black MacBook icon I would like to use, But I don't know how to change it?

[​IMG]

Could anyone help me out?

2. jaxonkohne macrumors member

copy the black icon onto your clipboard then click the icon in the get info box (the white one) and press paste... it will paste over

3. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

Okay, the icon(s) I downloaded are "documents" from InterfaceLIFT.

These to be specific

I tried that and it didn't change, do I need to change the icon from a document to like a .png?

4. jaxonkohne macrumors member

what you want to do is go into the folder click the macbook black icon. get info... then at the top by the name (the small icon) click it. it should highlight blue border around it... copy it... then paste it on the small icon of the get info page over the white icon..

5. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

Okay, I understand what you are saying because I have done that exact same copy/paste process in the past (iTunes, iChat, Mail, etc) but this MacBook icon appears to be "protected"?

6. jaxonkohne macrumors member

I see what you are saying. i cant seem to alter the Macintosh HD icon or the Computer Icon... im not sure what to tell you from here. My apologies

7. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

To change the Macintosh HD icon I used a third party app called "Liteicon".

[​IMG]

Anyway, no worries I just thought I would ask to see if there was a way to change it, I guess not.

Cheers!

*Mods may close thread if needed*

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I just downloaded the icons from your link and had no problem copying and pasting the black Macbook icon to my HDD icon. You changed it to the white one already so you may need to go back to the default icon before changing it to the black one. In the Get Info screen highlight the icon and hit Command+Delete to restore to the default icon.

9. jaxonkohne macrumors member

I mentioned the HDD as a side nbot... i dont believe benguitar is trying to change his computer icon

10. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

I wasn't. ;)

11. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I think I have a good way: Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/
    right click: Show package content
    Contents/Resources/

there you will find a

com.apple.macbook-black.icns

and a

com.apple.macbook-white.icns

then change the "black" to "white" and safe the white before with another name.

from now on it should always display this picture of a Blackbook when it normally would display a white one.

I hope this works, I haven't tested it yet.

EDIT: yes it does work. When you want to rename it, it won't let you. So just drag the black one onto your desktop. Then rename it to white. And drag the white one also and save it to another name, so that you have a backup if you ever want to change it to original. Then you have to drag it back. It will ask you to identify (because you are altering system files). Click on it and enter your admin password. Then click "replace". Now you only have to restart, and you will see your Black Macbook Icon.

(aren't you having a Black MB? Why is your icon white in the first place?)