Changing MacBook Pro 15" to 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akkkmed, Mar 10, 2011.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Hello everyone. I had an idea today. I'm looking for some advice, since I can't "find" a reason not to do this.

I currently have a base Mid-2010 MBP 15". I bought it last May. I planned on buying Apple Care, which is be $240. (Buy it in the next few months.)

My idea is to sell my MBP on eBay and buy a base 13" model (2011 model.) I would profit about $100-$150 after fees, buying a new one, etc...

Pros: Newest model ( :D ), nearly the same power (I don't even "need" the i5), I would have a warranty for another year, Apple Care for 13" models is cheaper, I like the smaller size, etc...

Cons: "Hassles" with eBay. (including this even though I find eBay fun.)

So...does anyone else have any other pros or cons? I really appreciate the extended input! :)

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

(a) You don't make profit from that. You regain most of the money you spent buying the Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro, though you do lose some of it, and you use it to buy a 13" MacBook Pro. You pocket $100-200, which is less than the money you would've saved by not buying the 15" Pro to begin with.

(b) If you don't need a decent GPU for anything (i.e. you will not be doing any kind of video editing, gaming, or really anything terribly resource intensive), then between the AppleCare cost and the money you save by going to a 13", I'd say go for it. Personally, as someone who was jonesing for a Mid 2010 (i.e. the recently discontinued Core 2 Duo/GeForce 320M based) 13" MacBook Pro, the new models deter me with graphics that are worse than that of of the model they replace, which really, in 2011 should be baseline. But that's just me. You'll probably be fine with that machine and it's probably a good use of your money all around.

3. Macsparky macrumors newbie

If you make the switch I hope you don't miss the screen size, I how have a 2009 MBP 13 coming from a 2008 MBP 15 I missed the screen for quite some time but got over it, both are very nice machines if your going to be moving around a lot the 13 is best at that...The 15 screen is sweet and may take some time to get use to it did for me....Cheers

4. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, both of you.

a) I know I'm not "profiting" by moving to the 13". When I got the 15" one, I wanted the 13" size, but needed the power of the i5 for my major. Since then, I've switched majors and the 13" has the i5. So it's a win-win situation now (in my case.)

b) From what I've read about the GPUs, the integrated i5 GPU beats the 320m from last year's model. I don't need a GPU for anything special, so it doesn't matter either way. I need to read some more reviews of the models and specs, but whatever.

@Macsparky - Adjusting to the smaller screen will probably take time, but I was at the Apple Store yesterday and still like the smaller sized laptop. Plus I still have a 22" monitor that I can use at home. The 13" size will be nicer while at school.

Honestly, I'd really like a desktop (PC would be fine) + Mac laptop, but the money doesn't allow for it. I can't figure out a way to make that happen...

5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

They match in some tests (usually the ones that are more CPU intensive than GPU intensive) and are behind in others. Typically, gaming is where the disparity is worst. But if you're not a gamer, then it won't matter.

For the cost of the higher-end 15" MacBook Pro, you can buy a 13" MacBook Pro and a desktop PC. Frankly a build-it-your-self desktop PC and a MacBook Pro provides you the best of both worlds in my experience.

6. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. I built a desktop two years ago and ended up selling it. (Yes, I like switching things up...lol)
    At retail price, I would be able to do that. But not for selling the 15" MBP for $1300-ish. Not enough money left over. I wish, though.

7. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    15" to 13" is a shock at first.

you won't make any $ on your proposed trade - in fact you'll drop a few bucks especially when you factor in eBay seller fees.

personally, I'd be going for the base model 15" with hi-rez screen and SSD.
    that way you'd stave off the AppleCare expense for another 12 months, and you can always upgrade to 8gb memory as funds become available

or

2.13/4gb/MBAir which already gives you hi-rez and very fast flash storage.
    with this option, the hit from 15" to 13" is made up for with the hi-rez screen

8. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

I want the smaller computer... And I'm not dropping more money. So that leaves out the 15" model.

And same goes with the MBA. Sure, I'd LOVE one, but it wouldn't suffice as my only computer. And since it would cost the same or more than the 13" MBP, it's not going to happen.

After eBay fees, I'll hopefully have about $1220. I plan on getting the student discount applied at Best Buy (which they did for me last year). That brings it down to $1100, plus tax. Then I have a $100 gift card for Best Buy, which lowers it more. Perfect situation.

9. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

The only notebook that Steve Jobs (aka Apple) is interested in at the moment are the Macbook Airs ... Why? Because Apple (Steve) did a keynote on them and Apple did advertising on the Airs .... You know when Apple (Steve) loves a product because they run ads on them ... The MacBook Pros are not on steves radar of importance (Haven't seen a Pro ad in awhile) ... Its all about thin and light and the iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air fit that category .... Listen to what Steve said about the Airs, "The Future of Notebooks" and "The Future of Macbooks".

The 13" MBP is a prime example of what apple thinks about that line of "pro" notebooks (the 11"air has a better resolution the the 13" pro) talk about a slap in the face .... When was the last time Apple held a keynote on the MBP's ?? WWDC09, Apple at the moment cares about thin and light and us air owners should be glad about that.

The Pro updates were half assed in my opinion. Especially the 13" Model.

Apple should have done the following:

13" Notebooks are only Airs

Get rid of the white macbook and 13" Pro

The 11" air is the "new" entry Mac.

The 15" Models come in 2 configs 512MB VRAM and a 1GB VRAM. Hi-Rez screen standard now in either glossy or anti-glare. Standard 7200rpm 750 GB drives with the remaining options being SSD's. Obviously 4GB Ram Standard, and you can keep the SB Processors.

The usual I/O (ie: Thunderbolt, USB, Firewire).

Apple is screwing the pro market notebook user. But I'm an Air user (Ultimate) so yea.

10. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense, but what does this have to do with my questions/situation? I understand that "thin and light" is where the market is headed. But if the Air can't provide me with enough processing power and more importantly, it's out of my budget (well, any Air that would be sufficient for me), then why would I buy an Air? Yes, I think they're amazing products and offer great usage, but it wouldn't suffice as a main machine (for me.)

Therefore, the Pro is what I need. With the newest update, it provides enough power vs. dollar ratio. So I can easily get away with the base model and still have enough processing power to hold me off for a long while.

11. halledise macrumors 65816

therefore you've answered your own question … :D

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd keep your 2010 15" MBP and wait until the 2012 redesign that's coming... there's really no need to upgrade any purchase a year at a time.

13. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I sold mine tonight for $1308. I'm going tomorrow to pick up the new 13" MBP.

Any suggestions for cleaning the black keyboard? Seems like it's always shiny/greasy, even after washing them...

14. halledise macrumors 65816

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

as for cleaning the black keyboard, use 'bon ami' or ajax powder or similar and a stiff brush;
    hose down and leave upside down in sun until thoroughly dry.

finish off by buffing with Mr Sheen ;)

15. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ha..ha.

Any real suggestions?

16. fussal, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

fussal macrumors newbie

The 13" MBP is a prime example of what apple thinks about that line of "pro" notebooks (the 11"air has a better resolution the the 13" pro) talk about a slap in the face .... When was the last time Apple held a keynote on the MBP's ?? WWDC09, Apple at the moment cares about thin and light and us air owners should be glad about that.

The Pro updates were half assed in my opinion. Especially the 13" Model.

Apple should have done the following:

13" Notebooks are only Airs

Get rid of the white macbook and 13" Pro

The 11" air is the "new" entry Mac.

The 15" Models come in 2 configs 512MB VRAM and a 1GB VRAM. Hi-Rez screen standard now in either glossy or anti-glare. Standard 7200rpm 750 GB drives with the remaining options being SSD's. Obviously 4GB Ram Standard, and you can keep the SB Processors.

The usual I/O (ie: Thunderbolt, USB, Firewire).

Apple is screwing the pro market notebook user. But I'm an Air user (Ultimate) so yea.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree...

I love the size of the MBP 13", it's got decent power (for me) the air, just isn't my thing. With the i5 it rocks in my opinion, and at home I got the bigger screen of an Imac. The 15" just is to big for me to carry around (trains, planes, automobiles ;-)

Just my 2 cebts worth ;-)

17. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

[/QUOTE]

What? iDisk posted that, but I don't see any reply to it haha