Changing MacBook Pro HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luis, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I am on the market for a new HD for my MBP. I have a 1.83 CD, with 2 gigs of Ram and currently a HD of 80gb, which is starting to run very small for me. I wish to get a new HD with atleast 160gb of storage and hopefully 7200 rpm. Does anyone have any recommendations on which drives to use? Better yet if you have changed drives and installed the one you're recommending.

Also, I plan on doing the upgrade myself, so does anyone suggest any special guide I should follow or some important things I should have in mind? I know it'll void the warranty, but my machine is way older than a year.

Thanks

EDIT: also, I plan to use the HD I remove from the MBP to use it as an external one, does anyone recommend a good enclosure?

2. just02 macrumors member

3. Luis thread starter macrumors 65816

Luis

Am I correct in that I need a 1.5 gb/s SATA interface?

That's great, I just need a simple enclosure to re-use my drive.

As soon as I posted I discovered that thread :eek:

Also, I currently have an External Drive with a Time Machine backup, I am correct in that I can install the new HD, then boot off the Leopard install disks and restore from that Time Machine Backup?

Thanks for the help

4. just02 macrumors member

Mostly. Any SATA interface should work fine (1.5 or 3). :)

I'm not entirely sure, I've never used Time Machine before. But I would think you could? :confused:

5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I've heard some problems with restoring from Time Machine, get an enclosure, plug in your new internal on it, use Superduper! worked perfect for me when i upgraded my HD.

Use these two guides as well,
    This and this one.

6. Luis thread starter macrumors 65816

Luis

Ok, but if I buy a 3 gb/s one, then I would only be able to use it up to 1.5 gb/s then?

So you say that I use superduper to create a clone of my disk which I send to the computer and then boot of it? Care to elaborate on the process ?

I saw the iFixit one, but i'll look at the other.

Thanks

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its very intuitive in SD!, when you've finished backing up, plug the drive in, and hold option during boot up, choose the external and use SD! again to copy :)

8. Luis thread starter macrumors 65816

Luis

You mean installing the new HD?

Plug my old internal in the new enclosure? Yeah ok

Use SuperDuper (running off external HD, previously internal) to copy the external contents back to new internal?

If it's like that, then I get it ;)