changing MacBooks - can I just swap HDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djneils98, Jul 13, 2015.

1. djneils98 macrumors newbie

I currently have a macbook with an SSD in and i'm about to get a second-hand 2011 macbook pro to replace it. I plan to swap the SSD from the old macbook to the new (to me) macbook pro.
    My question is can I just physically swap them and expect everything to still work (installed apps etc) or is there some process I need to follow?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

It depends.

If the OS installation from the previous MB is still capable of booting the newer MBPro, it will work.

If the OS is "too old", it WON'T work, and you'll have to update the OS...

3. djneils98 thread starter macrumors newbie

that's great - so i'm running the latest version of Yosemite on the old machine - should transfer no probs then?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes as above. As long as the machine the drive is going into supports the OS on the drive your putting in it'll be fine.

5. djneils98 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As others mentioned, it will work fine. The issue you may have is some apps, notably MS Office and Adobe apps, will see they are on new hardware and you will have to register them.

Once you do the swap and boot up, go to the Startup Disk pane in System Prefs and select the new drive as the boot drive.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Very good points raised by @Weaselboy. Failure to set the startup disk will give you long boot times.

8. djneils98 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks to all of you for the tips and help. will post back how it goes