Changing MBP vanilla HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Avents, May 5, 2013.

1. Avents macrumors newbie

Hi everyone !

I've finally got enough cash to buy a new MBP this year, but not with the SSD option unfortunately. So I'll probably be going with the vanilla 5400 rpm HDD.

My question is, does anyone know of a good HDD (7200rpm) or SSD (256 gb) for 13" MBP ? My prime concerns are performance and noise. I'd like it to be as silent as the original 5400 HDD.
    I've been lurking around on the forums for a while now, and saw many changing their original HDD with the Momentus XT, but there are some people expressing concerns relative to the noise it makes (although little, it's not close to silent).

Thanks for your help !

(sorry if this isn't in the right thread!)

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

There a bunch of good SSD's for the MBP. Samsung 840, 840 Pro, Crucial M4 are all good options.

As for noise you will be glad to hear that SSD's are completely silent. Compared to a 5400 RPM which makes noise, an SSD if working properly will never make a sound.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

My XT is no louder than the 5400 RPM HDD I had in there in the first place.

4. Avents thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, sounds good ! I would of taken an SSD but they're quite expensive for the moment, the XT looked like a good compromise though.

Can anyone else give their thoughts on the noise the XT makes ?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Can't comment on that particular brand, but I have SSD's in my iMac, and my 13" rMBP....Not a sound from them at all. I went with the 500GB option...It seems a shame to rip an brand new Mac open....Maybe if you wait for Haswell, you could have the best of both worlds....Gives you a little more time to save up for that SSD in the rMBP...A must have IMO.

6. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I have the XT 500GB one in mine and I haven't had no issues, no noise even. It really works pretty well.

7. Avents thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers !

Do you think the 750 Gb model would make more noise than the 750 Gb model ?

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you mean a physical HDD, then there really isn't going to be much if any difference...Hdd's really aren't that noisy though. I'm curious, why are you so concerned about noise? Are you worried about recording? If so, you won't have any issues with HDD noise using recording apps....Long before we had SSD's I used HDD's and had no interference at all.

9. Avents thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ! Thanks a lot for the info !

I'm actually just worried about the noise it will make in the amphitheater (at university). People are so silent when the teacher talks that even a PC fan can be heard ! So I wouldn't want my MBP to stick out too much. :D

10. Avents thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm just coming back to give a 'status report' on the noise and such with the Momentus XT hybrid drive.

It's still relatively quiet, and you'd need to be in a very quiet area (library) to start hearing it (not too much though, just like a small fan).
    Performance-wise, boot-up is faster and shutdown as well. Games run well on it too.

That's all ! :)