Changing Microsoft Office icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hellonewyork, Oct 2, 2010.

1. hellonewyork macrumors newbie

Okay so I found a perfect set of icons I wanted to use for Word, Excel, Powerpoint... But I can't seem to change them.
    Using that copy&paste method doesn't work, and because it's not a packaged app I can't use Candybar.
    Any suggestions?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Do these icons work when pasted onto something besides MS apps? Just wondering if it's their fault. :D

Personally, I don't do any customization of icons. I've read too many threads here and elsewhere about problems that ensue.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The copy and paste method works fine with MS Office apps. You can also create aliases for each of the Office apps and paste the custom icons on the aliases.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I'm curious to know on what icons you're going to replace them with. Is there a URL to see what they look like?

5. hellonewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

@Grannyville - they're just scrabble tiles haha
    @Gregg2 - And they do work for other apps. :/
    @GGJstudios - But... I can't though... lol I did try.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow these steps?:
    Steps for changing icons

7. hellonewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! I've been selecting the wrong size icon. However it only works for Excel and Word, when I try to do the same thing for Powerpoint it gives me a P (original icon) with a slash through it (Like... The no smoking sign lol)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The icon size doesn't matter. You can copy a 1024x768 .jpg image and paste it as an icon. It will automatically resize. Make sure you're clicking on the icon in the Get Info window. You can tell if it's selected because it will have a slight blue halo around it when it's selected.
    ScreenCap 6.PNG
    To remove any custom icon you've created, click on the icon in the Get Info window and press the Delete key.

9. hellonewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

I do see the blue halo, and when I paste the new icon on there, it disappears for a moment and comes back as the original icon again :/

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What file type is the image you are copying? How are you copying it? Double-click the image to open it in Preview, then press Command-C to copy. Then paste to the icon.

11. hellonewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

12. hellonewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually... This is a new computer and I've never tried opening Powerpoint before. I just tried and it said "You can't open the application microsoft powerpoint because the classic environment is no longer supported"
    ...What exactly does that mean? Maybe that's why I couldn't change the icon.

13. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Sounds like a very old copy of Office for Mac, probably Office 2001 which predates the first carbon version (Office vX). Classic isn't supported on Macs after PPC running on Tiger so if this is a new Mac then it isn't going to run any really old applications although it should run PPC OS X binaries albeit somewhat slowly compared with native apps.

14. hellonewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Microsoft Office 2004. Gah I guess I need to get the new version soon, thanks for all your help!

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Works fine for me:
    ScreenCap 8.PNG
    That's entirely possible. That's why it's so important, when asking for help, to give enough details that others can provide accurate advice:
    • Hardware model
    • Mac OS version
    • Software app versions
    • Modifications, etc.

Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)

16. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I run Office 2004 on my Intel Mac under Snow Leopard and it is fine. It is faster than 2008 for some reason so I stick with it. It should work for you unless the app was copied or somehow munged in the process of getting it onto you Mac.

17. SkyKraft09 macrumors newbie

I got the same problem

So I also want to change my icons, I go to the Get Info window, click on the icon at the top left, and drag and drop my icon but it just shows it as a file instead of the picture I want. Plz help!:(:apple:

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the steps in post #6?