Changing Mini internal DVD drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by corradoboy, Jun 17, 2007.

1. corradoboy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm looking at getting a Mini to use as a media centre and for general domestic computing, but the one stumbling block I have is those awful Mat5h!ta drives and their refusal to allow multi-region DVD playback, even with VLC on the newer Intel machines. I've just mistakenly fitted a Combo one in a G3 PB to replace a broken DVD ROM drive and it's going straight back as soon as I confirm if the Pioneer K05 will work OK in it as even on this old bus it won't play VLC. It was fine with the old LG DVD ROM drive, but after its demise I got giddy about adding CD burning with the combo and failed to notice the brand.
    So, will the Pioneer DVR K05 fit straight into a Mini too, allowing the use of VLC and a firmware reflash to RPC-1 to enable Apple DVD Player to play multi-region (utilising RegionX). Also, how easy is it to upgrade the Mini to Core2Duo ? I wondered if this was possible, but it seems some on here have managed it.

Please feel free to correct my dream set-up....

Cheapest 1.66 CoreDuo with 80gb HDD, upgrade to Core2Duo, 2gb RAM, Pioneer K05 internal superdrive.
    Iomega or Lacie 500gb external HDD hub.
    Elgato or Miglia twin tuner DTT stick, with EyeTV.
    Optical audio connection to AV amp.
    DVI to HDMI connection to 50" plasma TV.
    Wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse.

Is this achieveable ?

Thanks in advance, David.

2. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I can't help you out regarding the flashing/region free business, but I have a Pioneer K05 in my mini. Works great, simple drop in replacement.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't think there is a firmware flash for the Pioneer yet. Software solutions might work, however.

4. corradoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Slightly confusing on RPC1.org as they state there's no firmware, but list 1.03 as a download and bill it as "NEW".

If the K05 isn't viable, which drive will fit into the Mini and allow VLC to work and can be flashed to RPC1 ?????