changing mp3 name tags

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zoran, Oct 5, 2014.

1. zoran, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

zoran macrumors 68030

I have 4 CDs with songs named "Track 01", "Track 02" and so on. Ive created mp3 files out of them using itunes but all the mp3 songs now are identical either they are from CD1 or CD4. How can i rename the mp3 tags (eg. CD01_Track01.mp3) so i can know from which CD the selected Track01 is?

2. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Isn't this possible using itunes? Must i use a different app?

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Select a track in iTunes. Hit Command-I (or choose Get Info from the menu). Select the Info tab, edit away.

A.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Might there be some easy way to automatically rename a bunch of them?

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You can select as many tracks as you like before you hit Command-I. iTunes will warn you that you are changing multiple tracks. Change only those things which you need to update for all the tracks (Artist, Year, Genre, etc.).

I usually update all the common data first, then go back and fix up the Name field for each track separately.

A.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Select all the tracks with no name, right-click (or equivalent) and choose "get track names". Itunes will then try to find the actual names of the tracks in its database. Just used this when I ripped a CD yesterday and it worked perfectly. It also fills in the other metadata - album, artist, year, etc.

Or maybe that isn't what you want?

7. Alrescha, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you ripped it with iTunes, you should not have had to do that manually (iTunes would have looked up the information at rip time). See: iTunes/Preferences/General/Automatically retrieve CD track names from the Internet.

The OP said he ripped with iTunes, so I guessed that iTunes could not find the information online.

Did you use something else to rip?

A.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Boyd: no this will not do, thanx though

Alrescha: I used itunes but the cds couldn't be found online. They are not songs, they are Linguaphone cds and they are all named Track01, 02... bla bla bla So i had to rename each track regarding the cd they are in. Anyway, i did it, took me a few minutes, the hassle was the issue but anyway all ok now!
    Thank you all! ;)