Changing my HP for a new MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luisomtz, Dec 13, 2008.

1. luisomtz macrumors newbie

luisomtz

Im planning on changing my new HP Pavilion DV5 for the new Macbook. I had a mac in 2005 and it was really good. But I decided to buy this hp because the old macbook (white) sucked on specs. But now im having all types of problems. My blu-ray drive doesnt read blu ray discs. My screen has a blue line. Cannot wake after sleep. Paint coming off. Im going to get it repaired from HP and later sell it. Im thinking of buying the new Macbook, but how is the performance? My current HP has 2.0 C2D and 4GB of ram, 320gb of HDD. and a blu ray drive. Is it really going to be a downgrade? Or should I stay with my HP?

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It depend on your taste. To me I LOVE my Alu. MB it's awesome. The graphics are great...I love everything about it and I use almost everyday to do my work, surfing the web, music, chatting, and etc.. :) Plus no Viruses...

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Talking strictly on the specs, it would be a downgrade.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, a downgrade.
    But you can easily upgrade the ram.
    The HDD is also possible to upgrade.

If you don't want to upgrade the HDD you can get an external hard drive.
    They're not all that expensive, my grandma just got me a 640GB WD External HD for only $99.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

the only thing that would be a downgrade would be the lack of a BR drive. everything else would be an upgrade, especially resale value. No offense, but i dont think you get a whole bunch for a windows machine...

6. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

A macbook would be a definite upgrade from your HP. A bluray film can't be properly appreciated on that screen and without surround sound anyway, it was a waste for HP to put it in, and now its broken. Big shocker.

I'm sorry you bought a horrid HP. Take the opportunity to right that wrong.

If it makes you feel better my five and a half year old HP's DVD drive broke a little this weekend, but it still plays so I don't care a bit.

7. mbleopard macrumors regular

I have the HP dv6000 and I bought the new aluminum macbook about a month or so ago. While the specs arent exactly top of the line on the macbooks for how much you pay the design and construction quality blow the hp out of the water.

The mb feels much more solid than the HP which flexes when i pick it up and is warped, it rocks on a flat surface. I also had a problem with this one program i needed for one of my classes crashing repeatedly. I put xp on bootcamp and now I can build and compile code faster than i could with the HP without any crashing

You get what you pay for, yea its a bit expensive, but so far i have had 0 problems with this macbook, its my first mac and i serious doubt ill be moving back to a pc anytime soon

Actually I have been having one problem, my airport cuts out repeatedly at home, but that has to do with my wireless router not the mb itself, because at school or at a friends place i dont run into the same problem

8. luisomtz thread starter macrumors newbie

luisomtz

I hate this hp. When they repair it im going to sell it instantly. Blu-ray sucks, theres no real difference between a DVD. Do the new macbooks have problems? Should I wait for the next revision?

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, wait, so it sucks because Blueray sucks, or what do you mean? :p

10. luisomtz thread starter macrumors newbie

luisomtz

It sucks because nothing works! Paint is coming off the track pad. Blu ray drive doesnt read blu ray discs. I have a BIG blue line in the display. Cannot wake after sleep. And when battery runst out, it just turns off, it doesnt hibernate. -.-:mad:

11. Tosser macrumors 68030

Okay then. I just don't get why you're going back to DVD because Bluray sucks. Or let me put it another way: You seem to be saying it's "Bluray's fault" you got a lemon.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

He didn't say blue ray sucks, he said his blue ray is broken.

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

He didn't?

(My emphasis).

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It seems kind of pointless to have Blu-Ray in a notebook, but that's just my opinion. I haven't even used my DVD drive yet on my MB or iMac from 2007 except to install the OS.

Other than that, the MB is definitely not a downgrade. (Though the screen will be smaller if you consider that a bad thing). The RAM will be DDR3 vs. DDR2 (though you will want to upgrade to 4GB if you need 4GB. Could you even see 4GB in use with Vista 32 bit?) The other thing to upgrade would be the hard drive if you need the space. The MB comes with 160/250 but is easily upgraded.

15. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I wouldn't call anything a downgrade from that. If none of those features work, then you just have a big paper weight. An upgrade would be anything that works properly, as it should. A macbook comes to mind.

16. luisomtz thread starter macrumors newbie

luisomtz

Are the new MacBooks boot camp compatible? Can you install Windows Vista? Because I need Windows because at my school many things dont work on mac. Is it really worth to upgrade to the 1500 macbook?

17. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You can get the $1250 (ed discount) 2GHz model plus free printer too you know.

18. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would switch if I had those problems. Bluray is good for storage. Otherwise MKV files please ;)

If you read his original post, you would have noted the messed up trackpad, display, paint, etc. :rolleyes:

20. Tosser macrumors 68030

If you read the entire post you will notice who for god knows what reason drags Blueray vs. DVD into the equation thus making it part of the decision :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's good that he feels that way, because it will propable take years and years before blueray is available, and just as many months before blueray is even supported.

21. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

What things? Unless you're working with Autodesk software, nearly every popular school app has a Mac version or equivalent.

22. aandf1978 macrumors member

changing from any pc to a mac could never be considered a downgrade, it could only be an upgrade!!!! You get what you pay for, more money for a better machine.

23. Tosser macrumors 68030

Depends: What if you need a thirteen incher with expresscar slot or firewire, want a matte screen, a working firewire port, a rugged computer, a low-key computer, touch screen, or anything else the competition offers?

But, hey, as someone else said, any (working) MacBook will be an upgrade from a non-working PC. But so will a netbook or a WM6-device.

24. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yep..
    One of the many amazing things about Macs.
    Unfortunately, if you're Mac only has 1GB ram (Mac Mini, low end MacBook, or low end iMac) and you install Vista via Boot Camp it will run like crap.

25. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Vista will run like crap no matter what computer you install it on. It is crap. I'd suggest using XP instead.