Changing my MacBook hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by desrevni, Jan 31, 2010.

1. desrevni macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm planning on getting a bigger (250gb) internal hard drive for my MacBook (a white one, about 3 years old.) The current drive is a 80gb TOSHIBA MK8034GSX (http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=StorageSolutions/2.5-inchHardDiskDrives/MK8034GSXPage)

Would this Western Digital Scorpio Blue 250GB 5400rpm Internal SATA Hard Drive - 2.5" (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=512) work fine for it? Also, would it be as reliable, and as fast as my current one? Would it basically be exactly the same but with more room, or work differently in any way? If so, does anyone have any reccomendations as to which would be the same, but with more room as my current Toshiba one?

Also, On the Toshiba one, the maximum seek time is 22ms, whereas on the Western Digital one, it dosen't say the maximum, just says it is 12ms. Will this be a problem, and will it be slower than the Toshiba because of this?

Any help would be brilliant.
    Many thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. donnyboy09 macrumors member

The WD Scorpio blue hard drives work fine (up to 640Gb in size - drives bigger than this in this product line become physically bigger and won't fit) - i recently (2 days ago) upgraded my early '08 macbook with a 500Gb WD Scorpio Blue drive. So far its working perfectly, if anything, its faster than the stock drive (160Gb).

I'd recommend following the guide here if you plan on installing the HDD yourself (more info on how to physically change the drive can be found here

Hope this helps

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

Ditto, I put the same drive (250 Gb) in an old Macbook a couple of weeks ago. Easy to do, ten minute job. It works fine. I couldn't say whether the computer is faster or slower though. You will need a Torx head screwdriver to take the metal carrier off the drive though.

I used the instructions from www.iFixit.com.

5. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

These are the instructions I used when I upgraded my drive in late 2008...worked perfectly, no issues. Easy.

One hint: go buy the right screwdriver size...don't fudge it. Those screws will strip fast if you have the wrong size!