Changing my network setup (advice request)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rKunda, Feb 11, 2014.

1. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Hey guys!

So I think I know the answer but I wanted to say it aloud and see if I am missing anything.

Right now I have an older, single-band time capsule that works fine, and 2 older airport express units that I use for a printer and a radio.

We're moving soon (first house!?!?!), and I need to have 2 separate networks. Rather than buying a new TC and new airports, can I add an AirPort Extreme and just run the TC and the older airports in the chain?

Are there downsides because of how old they are? Would it be worth it to just upgrade the whole lot?

FWIW, we have newer iPhones, but the computers we have are older: late 2008 MacBook and I think an early 2009 iMac.

Is this a stupid question? ;)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... that will work fine. I would attached the new Extreme to your modem and set it up normally. Then attached the TC to the new extreme and put it in bridge mode. Then you can attach the Express devices to the TC just like you are now.

3. rKunda thread starter macrumors 65816

rKunda

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Congratulations on the new house. Anything you can connect via cable will be a lot better than wireless. In my house, anything in a fixed location gets a network cable. That includes the Apple TV, blu Tay player, Dish Hopper, printer, security system, NAS, iMac, and MBP in clamshell mode. About the only thing using wireless are the iDevices.