changing "my number" for google voice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by einmusiker, Sep 26, 2010.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

if you change the my number in settings on iphone to your google voice number will your gv number show up when you call people using the regular phone app?

2. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

i tried changing the number but my regular number still shows up, any way to conveniently change the caller id number?

3. gks macrumors 6502

no. you cannot change it since it's linked to AT&T. You can have them change it, but that's it. (it still won't be your GV number)

If you want the outgoing number to appear to be your GV number you'll need to use the Website to dial, dial your GV number yourself and place a call, or use one of the recent app store additions to facilitate the call.

You cannot make your GV number your cell #

4. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You don't need to spoof it...

Just make the call with one of the GV apps and it will ring your iPhone and connect your call as your GV number.

6. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I guess I wasnt clear before. I know how to use gv apps, But I would really like to be able to call from the regular phone app as its much more convenient and have my gv number show on their caller id. hopefully someday gv will be able to do that

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The Android Google Voice App lets you do that. It even has a widget/status bar that lets you toggle between your number and your GV number.
    The same app that Uncle Steve won't approve

8. gks macrumors 6502

I don't see the issue. Just grab GV Mobile + since it's free or was or will be or something. Use that and call it good.

I prefer the idea of having two numbers. I give new friends my GV number and if they turn out to be freakazoids I just block them at the GV level. If it's family or close friends they have my normal phone number. works well. Crazy chicks get the ban hammer on GV and my life is great again. Plus the free texts is freaking killer, i will be very disappointed when that disappears.

9. err404 macrumors 68020

Obviously you cant make the built in dialer use your GV number. And don't hold your breath since it will never happen in the official app. However, the GV apps function as drop in replacement dialer app. I use the GV Mobile + app for GV calls and the built in dialer for ATT calls. It should be possible for GV Mobile + to add the feature you looking for, but it's not there today.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You can do it on blackberry as well. Tell the phone to call from your contacts threw GV.
    But in both cases you are telling the phone to call your GV number and GV to call your contact. Your phone is not spoofing the caller ID. It just doing all the routing for you.

Never going to happen on the iPhone. SJ will not let an app link everything up. That is allowing an app get out side its little sandbox.