Changing my powerbook G4 to macbook pro, need some help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rakester, Aug 4, 2008.

1. rakester, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. pinktank macrumors 6502

they heat up quite a bit but I don't find the fans necessarily loud, especially if I use smcfancontrol to keep them at a good average when Idling, which lowers the temperature quite a bit

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I have MBP C2D and most of the time Mac is very quiet (keep fans at about 2000rpm). However, under heavy load e.g. ripping in Handbrake, it can be loud (kicks fans at about 6000rpm).

4. rakester, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

rakester thread starter macrumors member

5. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Yes, I noticed on my MBP that fans come on when I watching flash movies in Safari. It's irritating but overall MBP is very quiet laptop.

6. ghettochild macrumors regular

I had a 17" PB G4 1.67 DL before I upgraded to a Penryn 15" MBP this spring. The fans in my PB never came one, ever.

The fans in the MBP are on 2k RPM by default, I guess, but you hardly hear that. I have the MBP connected to a 23" ACD in open-lid mode and I set it to 2650 RPM via SMC for normal work- and it has to be dead silent to hear merely a slight humming.

No heat issues when I use it on my lap etc. Go get it and enjoy the speed increase.

7. bov macrumors 6502

I havent heard any fan noise when watching any amount of youtube/flash videos. In fact, the only time when i really hear my fans cranked up is when im playing a game in Bootcamp.