Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
they heat up quite a bit but I don't find the fans necessarily loud, especially if I use smcfancontrol to keep them at a good average when Idling, which lowers the temperature quite a bit

SpookyLars

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Poland
I have MBP C2D and most of the time Mac is very quiet (keep fans at about 2000rpm). However, under heavy load e.g. ripping in Handbrake, it can be loud (kicks fans at about 6000rpm).

SpookyLars

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Poland
for example, when i go on youtube and watch a few mins of video the fans kick in on my powerbook, will this happen on my mac book pro also?

Yes, I noticed on my MBP that fans come on when I watching flash movies in Safari. It's irritating but overall MBP is very quiet laptop.

ghettochild

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I had a 17" PB G4 1.67 DL before I upgraded to a Penryn 15" MBP this spring. The fans in my PB never came one, ever.

The fans in the MBP are on 2k RPM by default, I guess, but you hardly hear that. I have the MBP connected to a 23" ACD in open-lid mode and I set it to 2650 RPM via SMC for normal work- and it has to be dead silent to hear merely a slight humming.

No heat issues when I use it on my lap etc. Go get it and enjoy the speed increase.

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
for example, when i go on youtube and watch a few mins of video the fans kick in on my powerbook, will this happen on my mac book pro also?

I havent heard any fan noise when watching any amount of youtube/flash videos. In fact, the only time when i really hear my fans cranked up is when im playing a game in Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.