Changing Network Settings to use SSH in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jew, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Jew macrumors newbie

Hello, I am having trouble finding a way to make Safari use a SOCKS proxy without going into Network Settings (permission disabled). I am able to use the Terminal to connect via SSH to my server, but I can't get Safari to use the tunnel instead of the normal connection. Is there a way to do this via Terminal without root access?

I would also use Firefox's internal network settings but the ability to mount DMGs is turned off to users by the network admin so I can't even install a portable version of it. Dragging to the Applications folder is also disabled.

If there is a way to change Safari's settings via Terminal or a way to run Firefox without installing it, I would be very glad to know. Thanks!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I'm sorry but those settings are implemented by someone who has that authority. Circumventing those security measures is a bad idea and can have some very bad consequences.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The policies are there in place for a reason. Bypassing them is not advised and any Terminal command to do what you want will require admin privileges anyways so that won't help you.

4. Jew thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm stuck in China and I am trying to use my server as a proxy to get around the Great Firewall, but the only computer access I have is at a government-run public net cafe. I am trying to reach my friends in America and tell them I'm OK, but facebook is blocked here.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

install firefox onto a thumb drive.

edit, oh nvm, you dont have access to other computers.

6. al2o3cr macrumors regular

If you really *want* to go to jail, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige you without going to all the trouble of fooling with computer systems.

On the other hand, if a trip through the Chinese legal system isn't in your plans, might I suggest an old-fashioned invention people have been using to tell their friends they were OK for decades? It's called a PHONE.