Changing numbers to hours

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simonsm664, Apr 15, 2010.

1. simonsm664 macrumors newbie

I have two questions... Easy one first. When I format a cell as time (13:30), why does it go to 00:00 when i enter "2." I want it to go to 2:00, but the only way to do it is enter the colon myself... there must be a way to enter "2" and have the cell show "2:00."

Second question: I am trying to compare an estimated time to actual time. The problem is my estimate is 4-5 hours. How can I make 4-5 hours show up(in number format) in one cell... is that even possible or do I need to make two cells, one for min time and one for max time?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Auto format detection is on.

Just change the format of the cell to a time one.

Not sure if it applies to all spreadsheet apps:

Code:
    =CONCATENATE(LEFT(low estimate cell, 1), "-", LEFT(upper estimate cell, 1)
    Look up the function definitions for more info on the functions. (LEFT(cell, number of characters from the left to take))

3. simonsm664 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help, but I may have asked the question wrong. In column 2 I have cells with time ranges (i.e. "4-5")... representing 4-5 hours to complete a project. In column 3 I have the actual amount of time it took (i.e. "4:37"). In column 4 I want to show how far off my estimate is from the actual amount of time.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

=LEFT(estimate, 1)
    =RIGHT(estimate, 1)

If you set the format right then

=actual-LEFT(estimate, 1) will give you the right time. Just experiment, and look up the function references.

5. simonsm664 thread starter macrumors newbie