Changing Office 2004 "Microsoft User Data" folder location

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
It really ***** me that Office 2004 places the Microsoft User Data folder in your Users/Accountname/Documents folder, and if you move it it just makes a new one...

Is there any reliable way to move the location to somewhere else and keep it that way? The Documents folder should be the realm of the user and the user alone, damn applications should keep their noses out! :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Try this tip...haven't used it myself, so I can't guarantee that it works, but the comments indicate that it does.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Tried that one and it failed... it just creates a new one again from scratch in the Documents folder... :(

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mustgroove said:
Tried that one and it failed... it just creates a new one again from scratch in the Documents folder... :(
Ah, you're right...didn't work for me either. :(

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
skunk said:
How odd. It worked for me. :confused:
Don't know why it's not working for us, but I just used XRay to make the folder invisible, and it seems to be staying hidden.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks for that WildCowboy, but it seems like there's stuff in there that might be handy to have easy access too (like you're normal.dot for one), so I'd still prefer to just move it properly rather than make it invisible...

Thanks for all the tips so far, anyone have any more?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mustgroove said:
Thanks for that WildCowboy, but it seems like there's stuff in there that might be handy to have easy access too (like you're normal.dot for one), so I'd still prefer to just move it properly rather than make it invisible...
I agree...you can still navigate to it by hitting Command-Shift-G in Finder and typing in the path to the folder, but yes, it's not as easy as just having it somewhere else.