Changing Office document icons to iWork

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LukeJ, Sep 15, 2007.

1. LukeJ macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

It's been ages since I've posted here, but I've been a Mac user for over a year now and can safely say I'll never go back to a Windows-only system, although I do use XP for work and gaming thanks to Boot Camp.

When I got my computer, I tried the included trial of iWork '06 and hated it. It butchered the documents I tried to import, so I quickly picked up Office '04 on eBay and had been using it until recently. When iWork '08 came out, I tried it and was instantly impressed by the improvement and decided to switch because of the speed increase and lower cost.

I uninstalled Office using the "Remove Office" app provided, and changed the default app for Office documents to their iWork equivalents. However, I just get generic document icons displaying in the Finder now, without the Pages, Numbers and Keynote icons superimposed on the document icons themselves.

Is there some elusive preference file somewhere that's still pointing to the now nonexistent Office app icons? How do I get the right icons to display?

Thanks for any help.

Luke

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I was able to reproduce it in that the doc files are not just blank pages. Not sure if a reboot will help because that some times fixes the icon issues I had in the past.

Nope, Reboot didn't help me. Don't know what to do then. Also, I have found that opening Doc files with Pages, sometimes the formatting is off. I'm sure its the other way around too. I have since changed a bunch of my doc files over to Pages default format if I'm going to use just Pages to work on that document.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Is it being saved as a .doc or a .pages file? Maybe that's the reason? You may have to go through and save them all as .pages (I'm assuming that's the extension, numbers is .numbers) and then if you need them as a .doc, you'll have to export. I've really started exporting as .pdfs, whenever I have to send them to someone. It helps with formatting and font issues and they also won't be able to goof around with it and say that's how I sent it.