Changing optical drive for second hard drive!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlackiBook, Jan 10, 2009.

1. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Ok so i am not sure if this if the right place to put this but here it goes...

I have a iBook G4, 1.07 GHz, 768 MB RAM, and a very small 30 gig hard drive. Well my question is this, can I put another hard drive in the place of my CD/DVD drive? I just really don't want to go buy a external enclosure for the new drive download superduper, create a bootable clone, and swap them out... I just want the new drive for music and movies...

1. Will a new drive work with the optical drive hook ups?
    2. Would it worth the work?
    3. just random, I dont do much other than surf and write papers would upgrading the RAM to 1.25 Gigs help much??

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

1st you are better off buying a 2nd HDD! and swap them out, most likely because the new drive speeds will also be allot better! furthermore i Don't think the ibooks rom supports more than 1HD! :confused:

3. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

yeah I kinda guessed that... Damn :(

So what do you think the easiest way to clone my hard drive is?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

First off just wanted to caution you about the idea of buying a current external portable drive and cloning to it and popping it into your iBook G4 as was mentioned above since that probably will not work.

The reason I say that is that virtually all new external 2.5" harddrives out there are using SATA drives and the iBook G4s use IDE/ATA hard drives, so if you chose to go with an external enclosure/drive to clone to you would need to make sure that they are IDE/ATA parts (available at OWC, newegg.com etc).

As far as alternatives, if you have another Mac available you do have the ability to use Target Disk Mode to connect your iBook to another Mac via a FireWire cable- but again to clone a drive to that Mac it would need to have a partition on the HD set up exclusively for you or be using an external drive.

The other alternative of course is to backup your important files to DVDs or CDs then just install a new drive, format it and do a fresh OS installation and restore the files you backed up, but doing a clone is a lot easier and does not require re-installation of anything. Just make sure again that you don't accidentally wind up buying a SATA drive to replace your drive!

5. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Ok I knew that it was IDE/ATA but do you know if I can upgrade to 7200 rpm? and also do you have any good suggestions as to a specific hard drive I should buy? One that is 250 gig or bigger, if I can even go that big!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This is the largest capacity drive you can buy for the iBook.

8. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

That is really the largest I can go? oh well! I guess I just need to upgrade the internal and buy an external also!!

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The largest capacity PATA 2.5" drive is 250 gb. Those of us with Apple TVs are hoping for larger capacity as well, but the world has left PATA behind now.