Changing OSX icons problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blenderman345, Dec 10, 2009.

1. blenderman345 macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    was trying to change the icon of my "Macintosh HD" on my iMac.
    I'd done this earlier on my Macbook Pro, and I had the same problem as I'm having now. I eventually got it done on the 'Book Pro but I don't remember what I had to do.

When clicking "Get Info", in the left-top corner the icon isn't there. It's blank and says "png". Why does the icon not show up? I can't copy-paste it, and it's stuck that way. Please help.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Do a get info on your hard drive, click the "blank png" icon (it will get a highlight border around it) and then press your delete key. You should now be back to the default hard drive icon.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that you can use a png icon for OS X. Here's a site that you can use to convert them.

3. tallguy macrumors regular

To restore the original icon just "get info" on the mac hd and then click on the picture in the top left and hit command-x. If you want to use .png files for icons download this and it'll convert them to icon format

4. blenderman345 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I didn't make my problem that clear.
    The Hard disks icon I have no problem with. I can revert it whenever I want to. However, when I click get info for the icon that I want the hard drive to HAVE there is no icon. There is only a preview icon, with the letters "icns" or 'png' on it. I can't make it appear there. :(

5. blenderman345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a picture of the problem.

Attached Files:

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, I understand now. Actually, what you've got showing are the default icons for those type of files. What you need is a utility program that will make thumbnail or preview icons for them that you can then copy and paste elsewhere. The program tallguy mentioned does it as well as others. Have you tried it?

7. blenderman345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks guys, Pic2icons worked, instant!

8. roothus macrumors newbie

this works

yes this works, thank you, genius to have an online converter

i had problems with icns file format, but i tried the hqx and it worked well, maybe because i have snow leopard?

anyways it worked :)