Changing Partition Size w/o erasing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaniel, May 29, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Just wanted to check is there is an easy way to change my partition size...

I have one at close to 100 and another at around 150, I want to reduce the first one to 50GB which is easy to do, but then it seems I cannot simply increase the next one, wouldnt allow me to do it. I also do not have a simple slider I can slide up and down.

Anyone?

THANKS

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

3. mmmhshiney, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

mmmhshiney macrumors newbie

Sounds like you need to copy the files from the 2nd partition and then delete it. That way you should be able to create a new one with the right size and put your files back

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

There are tools out there that will let you do this, but it is always risky when messing with partitions....

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

gparted has a livecd you can boot from that will do this. Its not the simplest thing to use but the price is right: Free!

6. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

tried it doesnt work :( it will decrease size then u have that free space u cant then increase the size of ur other partition

7. RolandVet macrumors member

To increase the size of the second partition, move it to the end of the first partition, and then enlarge it.

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, try the tip he posted. gparted will do pretty much anything.

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

u mean on the main screen? it wont work it wont move.....

I even have trouble doing it with ipartition... *sigh*

10. RolandVet macrumors member

Did you defrag before attempting the resizes?

Is the empty space assigned to anything? A empty partition or anything? It needs to be unassigned, empty, nada. Can you give us a shot of your current partition setup?

11. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

when i use ipartition i can only use it from a boot up disk of course if not... its basically useless. same thing with idefrag....

when i use i partition I get a error message new block count is too small to etc etc etc...

i have no idea why that is.. I am trying to reduce the size of one partition to 40GB.. and increase the other one... i even tried doing it as 2 separate tasks but it wont work..

I dont have a shot right now I am not gonna bother anymore haha I am going to just backup what I can and re-do this crap from scratch.

12. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok so in the end I ended up reformating and reinstalling..

I had previously thought my small back up HDD could not fit everything so what I did was I worked with the 2 partitions I had... sorta screwed up when I tried to move my home folder back to macintosh hd, i couldnt log back into my account because of filevault. so if anyone wants to do this make sure u disable filevault..

anyways i cleared off one partition... and then I installed mac on it.. then once thats set up.. I could access my screwed up partition move what I had in there that I needed out... then use ipartition to increase the partition size to full..but I discovered it doesnt work well.... the number will not match up say I have a 250gb hdd.. so u expect to have a bit less.. but i have 600-700mb floating around according to disk utility... so its not missing its there u can see it.. but when u add that to the number it says on my hdd its more than 250.. so doesnt make any sense

so after that i just reformated and reinstalled