changing partition size

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alastaircmd, Oct 8, 2008.

1. alastaircmd macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an iMac running OS X 10.5 (Leopard) with two partitions on a 1TB hard drive. The partitions each take up 500 GB with Windows Vista on one and MacOS X on the other. The Mac OS volume is now has 400 GB used but there isn't much on the Windows partition, so I am wanting to resize them to allow more space for the Mac volume.
    I run Time Machine and so everything is backed up on an external drive. What I want to know is can I resize the partitions without loosing data either by using Disk Utility or some other 3rd party software? If not, will my Time Machine backup be all I need to restore all my data?
    I read somewhere that Leopard allows dynamic partition resizing - ie. no data loss - is this true?

Alastair.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please search. I had to answer this question twice yesterday in two different threads.

No. You can clone your Windows data to another HDD, resize with Boot Camp, and put it back on, but you can't "hot-resize" the partition; you'll lose everything.

3. alastaircmd thread starter macrumors newbie

changing partition size

I did do a search and read your answer but was hoping to get more information. I don't really care about the windows data, there's not much of it, so it's not a major problem to re-install the system and apps. However, 400 GB is a lot of data to make an extra backup which is why I want to confirm that I will be able to restore from my Time Machine backup after changing the partition size.
    Alastair.

4. durija macrumors 6502

If you don't need the data on your Windows partition or can back it up elsewhere, the easiest thing is to just delete your Boot Camp partition. That should not affect your OS X partition, other than to return it to the full size of the drive. And then create a new smaller Boot Camp Partition and reinstall. You may have to do the Microsoft dance when you reactivate.