CHANGING password (not resetting)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MikeeW, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MikeeW, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

MikeeW macrumors newbie

MikeeW

I have a newer MBP (June 2011). I have used an Apple store purchased thumb drive to upgrade to OSX Lion. I have no particular problems I've noticed. However, when I bought the MBP, I did NOT use a password. I left it blank when asked for a password. I did this on the recommendation of the sales staff (not sure if he was a Genius as I bought it from an Apple retailer overseas). Whenever I am asked to enter my password (download an App for example) I simply hit "enter" when prompted.

I have read many posts about RESETTING my password. However, all I think I need to do is to CHANGE it from blank to one of my choice. Simple enough, but I have an equally simple question. When I go to the system preferences, Users, and then choose to CHANGE my password, do I hit "enter" for my present password (blank) or do I "tab" past the place where I should enter the password?

Maybe a more important question is what to do if my effort fails. If I somehow get blocked out, I understand I restart my MBP and press OPTION. Then, when presented with the recovery drive, I select that. What next?

2. johnhw macrumors 6502

3. MikeeW thread starter macrumors newbie

MikeeW

Thanks for the advice. I trust the OS X to prevent me from messing up. But, I still am a bit unsure of what my next step is if changing (or attempting the change) locks me out.

The furthest I have gotten with advice is to restart with the option key pressed, choose the recovery drive and go from there. Not really sure what those steps are.

If I have to RESET my password, won;'t that change my keychain?

Also, is this in any way connected to the Time machine settings? That is, if I have to RESET (rather than CHANGE) will I need to do anything about the Time Machine and my Time Capsule and associated wifi?