Changing phone number with existing phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdwsta4, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

I moved across country a couple of years ago and think it's about time to change my number to a local area code. Question is, what will happen with current SMS messages and voicemails that are linked to my current number? Will they be lost? Or will I still be able to use them (listen to voicemails, respond to those SMS messages, etc)?

thanks!

2. kicko macrumors 65816

i think it only matters if you change carriers, I dont believe a number change will lose any info but FWIW mobile numbers are all sorts of combos now-a-days so i wouldn't sweat it.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I've had a non local number for my area for years. I've though about switching it a few times but I don't want to get in the habit of doing so when I move because of all the people that have my number. The only good reason to change in my mind is if you're getting tons of calls from telemarketers or scams and what not. Otherwise having and obscure number for your area is becoming less and less of a problem. People used to assume the area codes a lot more but not they just expect the whole number. I wouldn't sweat it and eventually it won't be a big deal.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I live in one state and work in another. My land line & wife's cell is one area code (for PA) and my cell is another area code (DE). My oldest daughter's is yet a third area code.

It used to matter when people had to pay for long distance. These days it simply doesn't matter.

But... You would likely lose your voicemail (conventional VM, not voicd messages already downloaded to an iPhone). Text messages also already on the phone will remain and you'll be able to respond (though of course the response will come from the new number).

Personally, I'd just leave it. Especially if a lot of people already have your number.

5. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand about numbers not really mattering anymore and truth be told, once I input a number into my phone, I never look at it again. That said, I've lived in other areas outside of my hometown's area code for some time and I feel it's time for a change. In addition, apartment complexes around where I live now require you to have a local area code in order to buzz people in. As it stands now, people have to call me and I have to go downstairs to let them in. Not the biggest hassle, but inconvenient nonetheless.

Like I originally asked, just wanted to see what would happen to SMS and visual voicemails.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have changed my number before with my iPhone and it didn't do anything to the SMS messages. Not sure about voicemails, but I wouldn't count on those being saved. I just read today that if you jailbreak your phone you can copy all the voicemails off of it.

7. himni macrumors regular

Get a Google Voice number. It will be local and then you can have it forwarded to your cell (or whatever number you want). Then you can buzz people in and keep your old number and not have to worry about giving your new number out. GV also lets you do lots of other stuff.

8. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

I had a GV number when they first came out. All I got were telemarketers, collect calls, and wrong numbers. Got sick of it after a month or two and deleted it.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

No big deal. I got a number and I don't get that. Numbers are recycled so fast that's why stuff like that happens. But it's a great idea.