Changing phone within a current contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cwrkr, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Cwrkr macrumors newbie

I currenty have unlimited ATT plan on my 3g Iphone. Is there any way to keep that plan and get a new Iphone 5 or can I buy a used Iphone 4 to replace my old 3G?

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Either should be fine and you will be able to keep your unlimited plan. This is assuming that AT&T won't decide to screw all of us and say that they are ending the grandfathering of the unlimited plan.

The way it worked for the 4 was to just upgrade, sign a new contract, and then the phone came with a new SIM card. Everything for the plan stayed the same.

If you get a used iPhone 4, you will need to either cut your current SIM or get a new micro-SIM from AT&T. I think they usually cost about $18. This shouldn't affect your plan in any way, since you aren't signing a new contract.

3. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

You should pretty much just be able to change your sim card into another iPhone. Your contract should be fine

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you buy a phone used or outright and just stick your SIM card in and don't have it activated at the carrier store, you're good.

ie: I started my contract with a black 3Gs 8GB, switched to a 16GB white 3Gs, and then bought an iPhone 4 outright and have been using that. :)

5. Cwrkr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to sound like a real idiot but, where is the sim card? How is it replaced?

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you're using a 3G/3Gs, it's in the top of the phone between the headphone jack and sleep button. Take the SIM removal tool included with your iPhone, or a paper clip, and insert it into the hole. The SIM tray will pop out, and voila!

On an iPhone 4, the process is the same but the tray is located on the right hand side of the phone. :)

7. dave006 macrumors 68020