Changing phones between two people who both have the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone Addict, Oct 13, 2011.

1. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I searched for my particular situation but wasn't able to find anything specific enough and am posting a new thread as a last resort.

My brother and I both pre-ordered the 4S online. He bought his from apple.com and I bought mine from AT&T's website.

The thing is, he does not live anywhere even remotely close to an Apple Store but he does live pretty close to a few AT&T retail outlets. We are wondering if it would be possible for him to take my phone (the one ordered via AT&T) and for me to take his phone (ordered from apple.com on his AppleID) and keep our phone numbers. Both of us are upgrade eligible so we don't have to do any upgrading on different lines.

Is this a regular upgrade swap? If so, do we just take out the SIMs from the two phones and change them before we turn either phone on? Or can we just turn on the phone and type in what number we activate the phone on (he would take my phone and put in his number and vice versa) or is there something completely different that we have to do?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question and I do sincerely apologize if this has been posted before and I was unable to find it. I know this forums sees tons of new threads near a product launch and I did try to find the answer before contributing to the logjam with a new thread. Thank you again.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I would get them, activate them, then swap the SIMS. It's shouldn't be any more difficult than that.

3. iPhone Addict thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for responding. Do you know if it affects warranty status at all if I was to take my att.com purchased phone into an apple store for any issue, or vice versa (taking apple.com phone to an at&t store)?

Thank you!

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Nope. An iPhone is an iPhone. The only thing you can't do is return the phone to a place other than where you bought it. But warranty service will be honored by Apple regardless of purchase location.

5. iPhone Addict thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for responding and for all your helpful information!

This has gotten me curious though, how does the activation process work? Does the SIM inside the phone already have your phone number stored on it or is it the phone's IMEI number that lets AT&T find out which phone number should activate on that phone? If I called AT&T and swapped the IMEI's before even opening either of the two boxes, would the phone #'s be switched when the phones were turned on?

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why would you switch them? Doesn't matter where you buy it you can take any iphone to either the apple store or at&t. Just because he ordered his from apple he could still take it to at&t if there are any issues.

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes I don't understand why you are swapping them? If it is for warranty purposes it does not matter where you bought it. Warranty service is done through Apple unless you are buying that outrageous ATT insurance.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, an Upgrade Swap is when one line is donating the upgrade but getting their contract renewed for 2 years.

In your case, you would just be swapping iPhones. Your phone number is tied to your SIM and not the physical iPhone. Swap Micr-SIMs and the numbers move.

The real question as others have asked is why swap phones just based on where you purchased. ALL iPhone warranty is provided by Apple. In store or by mail. So it would help if you told us a litte more about why you are thinking of swapping phones. :D

Dave

9. mralmostpopular macrumors member

I'm confused here. Did you have an in-store pickup option or something? (Was that even an option this year?) Why would he do that if he doesn't live near an Apple store? Why weren't the phones just shipped to you?

10. iPhone Addict thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant in case of any warranty issues and if he would have to go to an AT&T store with an Apple.com purchased device I was worried they might not accept it.

Does anyone know if the SIM card in the phone comes pre-assigned to a specific phone number? Thank you.

----------

Thanks for posting. As usual, your post cleared up a lot for me! :)

I guess I was wrongly worried about an apple purchased phone being denied at an AT&T store. Also does it matter which apple ID a phone was purchased under on apple.com? Or can the phone be associated/registered with apple on a new ID upon activation?

Thanks Dave!

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

No problem, happy to assist.

Your Apple ID was just to speed up the the ordering process :) Activation and registration with Apple are two different things. In your example, you will be able to register with any valid Apple ID or even create a new one.

Dave