Changing prev gen MBP keys

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anirudh, Nov 3, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Was wondering if this was possible? Am used to the chicklet style keys on the MB and the Air

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The keyboards are built into the topcase on both generations MacBook, MacBook Air, and on the 2nd Generation MacBook Pro. I am sure it could be done, but would require some Frankenstein effort.

[​IMG]

3. jvlog macrumors member

actually they keyboard is screwed into top case from the under side. IE if you buy a replacement top case u need to transfer the keyboard from the old one over. so in theory it wouldn't be that hard to put a chicklet style keyboard in if someone where to make one that fit those detentions. but i seriously doubt there is or ever will be one made to fit the old MBPs

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sorry for not being clear, and you are correct. It isn't exactly built in, however there are so many screws, and the uncertainty of connectors would likely make the swap a PITA for most. It is not too difficault to pull the topcase on a white MacBook, but the work to access the keyboard on a new MB or MBP is a bit more involved since you have to remove all components, and the logic board.

I am not even sure the pinouts for connections are close enough to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I miss the removable keyboards of the older systems. It was nice to know that a user could easily pull the keyboard out, and replace it if it was to get damaged, or too worn.

sigh...

[​IMG]

5. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

@quadra

I dont mean the NEW MB and MBPs (with the unibody). I mean the early 2008 MBPs? Do I need to open up the guts of the machine just to take out the keyboard? That would suck :-( But apart from that, do the key sizes and layout match that of air or old MB?