Changing Preview's highlight color

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MarvinMartian, Sep 7, 2007.

1. MarvinMartian macrumors newbie

OK, I did try several searches here before asking, so if I've missed the answer, it wasn't for lack of trying...

On my MacBook, the gray highlight in Preview, when searching PDF files just doesn't "work" for me. By that I mean that it's hard to see. Howdaheck do I change that color selection to something else?

I looked in system preferences, and that color selection dialog is about the system dialog box highlight color, which is a different color than the text search highlight in Preview.

HELP!

Thanx!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're seeing the gray highlight because the window with the file in it (such as a PDF) doesn't have focus at the moment. The focus is on the search field, so the highlighting turns gray. If you click in the window, the highlighting should change to whatever color you have specified in System Preferences --> Appearance --> Highlight Color

Yes, this should be implemented better. You shouldn't have to manually change the window focus (with a mouse click or tabbing) to see the proper highlight color in this situation.

3. bgbevan macrumors newbie

Clicking Doesn't Work, Tab Does

In Leopard, when you select the page that has the object, it is highlighted for a second or so and then drops back to the gray highlight, which is hard to see. Clicking on the window with the search object(aka changing focus) doesn't turn the highlighting on. Shift-Tab or multiple tabs does turn the highlighting on. A little clunky but it works.