Changing primary drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CatharticFlux, Aug 29, 2007.

1. CatharticFlux macrumors member

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I didn't have much luck searching for it so I apologize beforehand.

What's the easy way to change out my primary drive? I'd like to replace the stock 250GB drive on my MP to a raptor 150. I already use another 500GB SATA drive for my music and media, but my home directory, lightroom vault, iphoto library, docs, etc are still on my primary.

Is there a 'fast' way to copy the filesystem from one drive to another, or is the best idea to reinstall OSX?

Thanks in advance

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Clone it

I'm not sure how the Mac Pro handles boot drives but you might only need to change it in the Startup Disk preference pane.

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I usually use disk utility (RESTORE) to clone the disk and then go into system preferences - Startup Disk, select the new drive and click Reboot.

Attached Files:

4. bigbird macrumors 6502

I've used SuperDuper to clone the primary drive to a secondary drive. Install and format your new primary drive. Then again use Superduper to transfer everything back to the new primary.

5. CatharticFlux thread starter macrumors member

What does SuperDuper do that the OSX restore won't?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Cloning Vs. imaging.

You'll still have to copy all the data and make a disk image. After that you'll have to put the image on another disk. With Super Duper! the files are just cloned and you're done.

7. CatharticFlux thread starter macrumors member

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Copying the files is the most time consuming component. It takes a few hours for 22 GB so I can make a deployment image from my master machine. Imaging a new machine takes 12 minutes and 22 if I want to verify the imaged machine. :rolleyes:

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I did the same thing. I put in the Raptor150, used Superduper to clone the stock 250 to it, and then chose the Raptor as the startup disk.

Done. Easiest thing in the world.

10. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Here is a twist on that - what if say one used superduper on the primary on a G5 and then wondered if it was possible to restore it to a Mac Pro - is that doable or is it not possible or not recommended due to cross platform architecture?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can't boot an Intel machine using a PowerPC version of OS X and the partition scheme wouldn't work.

12. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If I'm getting a new system can I just install the OS on to a the a extra drive using the startup/installation disks? and then delete the OS off the stock drive? I'd like to do this because I'd like to do a custom install.

13. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Yes that will work fine.