Changing primary drive

CatharticFlux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Marietta, GA
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I didn't have much luck searching for it so I apologize beforehand.

What's the easy way to change out my primary drive? I'd like to replace the stock 250GB drive on my MP to a raptor 150. I already use another 500GB SATA drive for my music and media, but my home directory, lightroom vault, iphoto library, docs, etc are still on my primary.

Is there a 'fast' way to copy the filesystem from one drive to another, or is the best idea to reinstall OSX?

Thanks in advance

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
I've used SuperDuper to clone the primary drive to a secondary drive. Install and format your new primary drive. Then again use Superduper to transfer everything back to the new primary.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.
Copying the files is the most time consuming component. It takes a few hours for 22 GB so I can make a deployment image from my master machine. Imaging a new machine takes 12 minutes and 22 if I want to verify the imaged machine. :rolleyes:

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
I did the same thing. I put in the Raptor150, used Superduper to clone the stock 250 to it, and then chose the Raptor as the startup disk.

Done. Easiest thing in the world.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Here is a twist on that - what if say one used superduper on the primary on a G5 and then wondered if it was possible to restore it to a Mac Pro - is that doable or is it not possible or not recommended due to cross platform architecture?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Here is a twist on that - what if say one used superduper on the primary on a G5 and then wondered if it was possible to restore it to a Mac Pro - is that doable or is it not possible or not recommended due to cross platform architecture?
You can't boot an Intel machine using a PowerPC version of OS X and the partition scheme wouldn't work.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
If I'm getting a new system can I just install the OS on to a the a extra drive using the startup/installation disks? and then delete the OS off the stock drive? I'd like to do this because I'd like to do a custom install.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
If I'm getting a new system can I just install the OS on to a the a extra drive using the startup/installation disks? and then delete the OS off the stock drive? I'd like to do this because I'd like to do a custom install.
Yes that will work fine.